Chapter 42

Two days after our 'talk,' I still asked myself what he meant by that. Faith had been sleeping in the room with us on the window bench. Making sure all was quiet. I was glad Derek didn't jump at me, but what he said scared me. Did he think he wouldn't make it? That was a horrifying thought. But I was certain Faith wouldn't allow that. She could see what Derek meant to me. And she made a great asset, too. Having a wolf as a friend did wonders.

Today, everyone was excited to see Faith walking around more than before. She was running a little, too. And more alert. Derek said she was healing nicely, only because Chloe said the same thing. And it had been quiet for a couple of days. No sign of life besides all of us. And no signs of rabid animals. It was reaching Thanksgiving soon, so everything was on the low. Animals were hibernating and waiting for the cooler weather to end. But since Thanksgiving was right around the corner, Jake thought finding a turkey would make a great statement.

Derek gave all of us until after Thanksgiving to spend together before we went to the CIA, and since Thanksgiving was only a few days away, it would have been nice to sit down for a meal together before we walked into the war zone. Chloe and Noah had posted what we needed from the local market a couple of miles down the highway, which would have been four miles from us, so that we could eat. Dani and Wesley would wear hoods and get what we needed for all of us.

"Hey, I'll hunt the damn thing," Jake said. Looking at Faith. She whimpers, putting her head down. We all chuckle to ourselves.

"I think she would make a better hunting sport; maybe you should take her with you," Wesley says. I shrug and agree.

"She won't leave Addison, so would you like to go on your first-ever turkey hunt? I've seen a few a mile back," Jake asks. I look at Derek, and he nods. He knows the hunters wouldn't be back after I broke their nose.

"Okay, but just so you know, I hate seeing animals hurt; I'm turning my eyes away before she, well, ya know," I said. Trying to be discreet. Jake chuckles.

"Come on, Addison, that's the best part about hunting turkeys," he said. Faith's ears flip up. Derek notices it, too.

"What is it, girl," he asks. She sits up and walks toward the door. She starts scratching it as if she wanted out. But when Derek got to the door, he stopped.

"You might not have to go too far, look," he said. And right out front was a turkey, just one. Standing in the front of the cabin. Jake nudges me and points to Faith.

"Watch and learn," he said. He looks at Derek, who is still standing by the door.

"Open it, Derek, she's going hunting," he tells Derek. He nods and opens the door. Faith stands in the doorway for a moment. Everyone is intrigued by this; they are all watching. I couldn't stomach it. It's a turkey, and I wasn't vegetarian, but watching her kill it was not my line of fun. 

"Ooh, she's getting closer," Jake says. I didn't want to look, so I motioned for Noah to come over, and he sat beside me. Derek was watching her, too.

"This feels like the last supper," I said. He chuckles.

"Of course not, Addie bear, it's just the last one for a while," he said. That didn't make me feel any better. We were on the run from Lee, and I attacked two hunters. I befriended a wild wolf; this was the end.

"SHE GOT IT," Jake says excitedly. Wesley and Dani decided they had seen enough and walked over to the island. Chloe decided to join me and Noah. Riley and Matthew were still intrigued. Derek too. Chloe speaks up.

"Are we having a last dinner together? Is this what it is?" She asks. I look at Noah.

"Chloe, sweetheart, listen, with Derek and Faith and even Wesley, we will be just fine; they've protected us for two months already, and I'm sure they'll protect us," he said. I look at Derek, who's moving aside for Faith. She had a now dead turkey in her mouth. And it's enormous. There are only a few of us here; why we needed a turkey that big was beyond me.