Chapter 32

Everyone did as Derek promised. For two days, I was left alone. Just me and Noah. To relax, take a breather. Chloe didn't like that Noah was always with me, but I didn't want to be around anyone else right now. I wanted to take a breath for myself. And if that meant staying away from everyone but Noah, then I was more than happy to do that.

I knew I was stupid for going out by myself the night I was attacked, but everyone looking at me as if I was some teenage girl on the verge of having a meltdown was not helping. Noah seemed to be the only one who understood that. Having people stare at you as if you were part of some circus show. It was horrible, and I felt worse.

Noah and I had been on the porch that morning, waiting for the rain to come in. It had been cloudy all day. And I knew it would rain. I wanted to listen to it. It calmed my nerves down. However, I could do without thunder. After the incident, every loud noise made me jump. Maybe the trauma stayed with me and made me remember every little detail of that night.

I was doing so much better at walking around. I still limped a little, but I did it alone. And Noah made sure to stay with me in case I did fall. I didn't fall once that day. And I was waiting for someone to finally say we were going after Lee since I was doing better. But no one did. Derek and the others were too fixated on keeping a low profile and hiding out. But this would only get better with Lee being out of the picture.

"Hey," Noah said, drawing me away from my thoughts. I grin; I didn't realize how much thinking I could do.

"So I've been thinking, it's been a couple of days, how much longer do I need to keep this up with everyone because Chloe is getting lonely, and while I love hanging out with you, she's my fiancé, and I want to be able to spend time with you and her both," he said. I sighed. And I nodded, understanding him.

"I'll be okay; go spend time with her. I will yell if anything major happens, I promise," I say. He tilts his head.

"Addison, I'm not leaving you alone; if those things come back, you need to be protected unless Derek will let you use a gun, which I doubt," he said. I nod and sigh at him.

"I'll come inside if I feel any sense of danger; I promise to go ahead and spend time with her," I say. I knew he missed her and that it was customary to be with her for so long and be with me for four days. It was getting lonely for both of them.

"Okay, but I promised Derek I would protect you, and I aim to keep that promise, so please tell me if anything happens," he said. I nod. He pays my arm and turns away.

I sat alone after that. The rain finally began pouring. I listened closely. I couldn't hear anything but the rain. And the sound of Chloe laughing. He did love her, didn't he? And she loves him. Riley and Matt were so different. They did love each other, but not profoundly. They cared for each other.

The evening came, and the sun was starting to set. I realized I had been there so long I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. And my stomach begins to growl. I didn't want to move but knew I had to eat something. The rain continued to pour down. As I wished, it would continue to rain. I loved the rain. My stomach growls again, and I finally give in and get up.

I walk into the house slowly. Chloe, Noah, Riley, and Matt are in the living room. Derek, Dani, and Wesley are in the kitchen. Noah notices me and looks over. I put a thumbs up to tell him I'm okay. He nods and returns to discussing it with my sisters and Matt. I walk into the kitchen, where Derek notices me. I'm still limping. I look at him grinning.

"So, I've decided to talk to you guys at least," I say. Derek smiles.

"Don't get too excited; I still want the bedroom. I gave Noah the night off," I said. He clears his throat. Dani and Wesley excuse themselves.