Chapter 43

Did she tell me Derek was a horn dog? I think she did. He told me he didn't want to sleep with me because I was different. What did that even mean? Did he see me as attractive? Did he want to make it unique? I hoped so; I loved him, and he loved me like I did him. She noticed my face.

"Oh darling, he must love you, I mean, wanting it to work," she said. That changed my mood. But it still didn't seem right to me. He didn't want to be intimate with me, but he did with others immediately.

"Look, don't worry too much. When we catch Lee, Derek will probably make you move in with him as long as he is taken with being intimate and as crazy as you make him. He's got it big time, and he just wants it to last," she said, hurrying off her bar stool. I nod. She pats my shoulder and excuses herself to bed.

I do as she did; I walk into the room and crawl softly into bed, my eyes finally heavy enough to sleep. And that night I slept, maybe not great, but I finally slept.
——
A few days passed, and everyone was getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. Wesley and Dani went to the local market and grabbed everything while Chloe and Noah cooked everything. She started the turkey at 9 am and let it cook slowly until around 4. She and Noah fixed everything else around three and three-thirty.

Derek had made a point to take watch for the first couple of hours. So I stayed in the bedroom with Faith. Riley and Matthew helped Noah and Chloe when they needed it. Jake, Wesley, and Dani set the table and cleaned up in every room. While everyone was doing their own thing, I was worried about tomorrow. It was a big day for us. Going into the CIA.

Faith looked at me, and I grinned at her. I was sitting on the window bench again. She was on the floor. She whimpers when I sigh. She knows something is wrong. But how can I tell her? Would she understand how I felt? She's been with me for a week and I feel like she's been the only one besides Noah to understand me.

"You know Faith, I'm just scared; I know I have you and Derek, but I'm terrified; I'm walking into the belly of the beast tomorrow, and if they don't understand you, it might not go as planned," I say. She snorts as if it's silly.

"I know, it's silly to think that," I say. I look outside. And I began noticing Derek; he was leaning against a tree. And watching the perimeter. And he doesn't know I'm watching him. Faith sits up and places her head on my lap. I sigh, smiling. She's such a great girl.

"I know Faith, me too, but what if my worries are for a reason? Does he think he's going to die?"

She shakes her snout. And stops for a moment. I watch as she watches Derek, too. She notices his worry like I did. He doesn't usually leave me alone unless he's in thought. And he was. I could tell he was.

There is a knock at the door before Jake peeks his head in.

"Hey, dinner will be ready in thirty minutes," he said. I nod to him. He shuts the door, leaving. Faith looks at me.

"Well, Faith, we should go get him," I say. She jumps up, standing on all fours.

She follows me outside, where Derek is still leaning against the tree. And he's quiet. But he's lost in thought. He looks so handsome. I could look at him all day. Faith groans, and he turns around, looking at us. And he smiles.

"Hey girls, what are you two doing out here," he said. It's getting colder. It's probably fourth degrees. Faith isn't bothered by it.

"We came to get you; dinner is about ready," I say. He nods, looking at Faith.

"You are eating too, girl," he said, petting her head. She licks his hand. They like each other. And I loved his kindness for her.

"Well, we should get inside," I say. He nods, grabbing my hand. He leads me up to the porch and opens the door letting me step inside first.