20th

Harper pov:
I woke up in a place that was not my bedroom, I heard a monitor beep. Ah the hospital.
The sun was shining from the window in the room that appearently I spent the night in. I looked around to see Benny sleeping on a chair and Jess sleeping on the pullout couch.
What happened? Why am I in the hospital?
I heard footsteps coming closer, and a lady came into the room. She looked familiar, but I couldn't remember her.
"Oh your up! Lemme get the doctor." She said walking right out of the room.
I just want to know why my mom isn't in the same room as me, and what the hell I am doing in a hospital bed.

"Ahh miss Harper Adams, your up!" The doctor said loudly enough to make Jess wake up. "Your mom is ok, and so are you." He said, "um what happened to my mom?" I said confused, looking at everyone.
"Well you and your friend here." He continued pointing as Jess. "You guys found your mom on your kitchen floor passed out, is what your friend told me." Jess nodded at the doctor, "so you called 911. We came to your house, and got your mom. This young boy said he saw you crying on your sidewalk and asked some questions-" dr continued, "but you didn't respond and then you laid your head back down and blacked out. So we called the ambulance again, and now you are here." Benny said, I didn't even know he was up. "Oh." Was all I could say, "is my mom ok now?" I said.
"Yes, you can visit her. We just need to do some tests for your diabetes, since you haven't done one in awhile. And also your walking boot is fine, we will take it off for you after the test results." The doctor said, he said it so fast I couldn't understand. The doctor went to get all the stuff for my tests, and it was just Benny, Jess and I.

But apparently Benny could, "you have diabetes?" He said, oh shoot. Thanks doc.

"Umm. Yea." I said as tears were coming down my face. Jess knew from what my mom told her, she never asked about it. I never told any of the boys except ham and kenny. Benny probably should have known this, it would have been important for him to know. Well I guess he figured out, not the way I wanted him too.
"I'm sorry I didn't know." Benny said, "of course you didn't. None of the boys know except ham or Kenny." I said looking at the floor. "You told them but not even your boyfriend?" Benny said, I stayed quiet.
"They figures out on their own, I was going to tell you today but." I started, "save it. I'm going home, to my mother." He said storming out of that room. I started crying even more, Jess was there to comfort me again.

The doctor came back, did some tests, left, did more tests on my shin, left, took my walking boot off, left, and finally came back with good test results. "Your diabetes are fine, as well as your shin. Want to see your mother?" The doc asked me, "Yea." I said, "ok nurse Gonzales will take you two to her. Have a nice day." He said before leaving.
That familiar woman came up to me and helped me stand up. "Hey Harper, I'm nurse Gonzales. I'm the woman that was next to you when the paramedics took your mom." She said, walking Jess and I towards my moms room.
I knew I'd seen her before.

"Ok I will give you 3 some time alone." Nurse Gonzales said, walking out of my moms hospital room.
"Hey baby." My mom said giving me a hug, "are you ok?" I asked.
"Yeah I'm fine. I got up to fast and I guess passed-out during the process." She said.
"Oh yea, I passed-out too I guess. Benny found me. Well actually he was right beside me." I said, stopping myself from tears. "That's what I heard." Mama said. "Hey Harper. And Jess."
"Yeah?" We both responded.
"So once I woke up, I got some news." She continued, this time, she had tears.
"I have cancer. So far it's not bad, but I'm starting chemo tomorrow." Mama said, my heart broke. Tears, from Jess and I. We were all quiet for a few minutes, I pulled myself somewhat together to ask a question.
"How long have you known?" I said.
"1 month." She said, 1 month and she never told me. For 1 month, I was so busy focusing on myself. 1 month.

"Ok girls, mrs Rodriguez is going to drop you and Jess off at her house until I'm ok to come home. Ok?" Mama said.
No, I know exactly how Benny is feeling right now. For a whole summer I lied to him, just like how a whole month mama knew she was slowing down. I can't see Benny. We are taking a pause, just until I figure everything out. We, with my mom and family. We will figure this out.

"Got me?" My mom said. "Yes" Jess and I replied. Mama kissed us both on the cheek and we walked out of the hospital, and into mrs Rodriguez's car. "Hey girls. You ready to go home?" She said, trying to cheer us up. That wouldn't work, nothing would. "Um plans changed, Cher wants us both home tonight. For a family dinner." I said, knowing that Cher is on a camping trip and James is at our cousins house for a 2-day sleepover. "Ok that's fine, we will be across the street if you need anything!" Laura said, as Jess and I got out of the car.

We both walked inside, it felt dead. No one was home. Just 2 girls, one who's life is terrible at home, so she escapes by going to her friends house. And the other, her mother is dying basically, her sister isn't ever home, her brother is to young to understand what sick is, and her boyfriend figured out her secret that she's known since beginning of summer.

I layed down on the sofa and cried. Jess did the same.
I don't know how long we cried for but it was dark out when I woke up from my cry-nap.
I got a phone call, I answered.
"Hello?" "Harper?" I started crying.

-end of chapter-