14. Knowing Is Half The Battle

ARROW BERLIN

The afternoon was cool, a light breeze constantly blowing. The sky blue and bright with an overall softness to its appearance. Clouds sail by gently, the wind guiding and shaping them, their white edges dispersing now and then. Warm rays of sunlight shine through them, bathing the earth in its bright natural glow. Beneath the shade of a tree's leaves, Arrow lay on the soft grass staring up at the sky – Tears slowly escaping the corner of her eyes. She kept herself from crying earlier as she comforted her younger brother – But now, surrounded by the solace of the quiet outdoors, she allows herself to grieve.

An hour passes by before she hears the door to the house open, followed by the crunch of grass under someone's footsteps. Beau Valentin appears to her side, laying down on the grass beside her. "How are you holding up?" He asks softly, turning his head slightly to look at her.

"It's hard to wrap my head around the fact that he's actually gone," Arrow replies with a sad sigh. "Things got so out of hand so fast. And now he's gone." - Fresh tears escape her eyes.

"Arrow, Beau!" Mr. Valentin calls out to them just as Beau was about to take Arrow's hand in his comfortingly. He retracts his hand mid-way, pushing himself off the ground and heading towards his father. Arrow getting up off the ground as well.

"It's time we head into Tares," Mr. Valentin says to them. "Arrow you have to deal with your uncle...among other matters. There is also something we need to look into there."

"Yeah, okay. Let's head out," Arrows says with a half-hearted  nod.

~

Riding with Beau on his motorcycle, the two of them head to headquarters while her brother goes with Bell and Mr. Valentin to investigate a lead. Arrow leads the way into the building, walking straight past the receptionist who looked shocked to see her.

Navigating the halls she makes her way to her uncle's office, knocking twice before opening the door. She looks at the empty room in confusion, "He should be in," She says aloud to Beau. "We passed all the board rooms on our way here, he isn't in a meeting."

"I have a guess," Beau says to her, a grimace on his face.

Arrow angrily speed walks to her father's office, silently hoping that Beau's suggestion was wrong. Opening the door, she finds her uncle standing at the window wall, looking out at the city. Arms behind his back, he was deep in thought as he'd yet to notice Arrow and Beau standing at the doorway. Clearing her throat loudly, Arrow startles him, getting his attention.

"Arrow! My dear!" Elmaan exclaims in surprise, walking over briskly to embrace her. Arrow stands tensely in his arms, awkwardly placing one arm around him. "I've been so worried about you!" He says releasing her.

He makes a show of noticing her arm, "How badly hurt are you? I haven't gotten a chance to see you since we arrived at the farmhouse and this – This scoundrel was driving away with you on his bike!"

"My injuries are minor, I'm fine," Arrow replies. "What are you doing in my dad's office?"

"I couldn't get in contact with you or your brother! No one knew where you guys were! I don't even have contacts for the Valentins," He rambles on, ignoring Arrow's questions.  "Given everything that transpired within the last few hours, the loss of my brother, your father... I don't think it is too much for me to want to know where you and your brother are. It is quite dangerous out there. You and my nephew are in a vulnerable state right now.  Where were you guys? Where are you staying?" He asks, aiming his last question at Beau.

Beau makes no move to answer him, Arrow speaking instead, "Doesn't matter, I'm here now. Uncle Elm, we have to talk about my dad and Kendrick."

"Ah, yes. I just have to make a few final arrangements for your father's funeral. Kendrick's parents have insisted they handle their son's arrangements," Elmann informs her.