18. When The Levee Breaks

ARROW BERLIN

Arrow and Andrei sit in the backyard at the Valentins' home, both holding their laptop with earphones plugged in. "Any chatter at the gym?" Arrow asks her brother with a nudge. "Nothing," Andrei replies.

"I was afraid of that. With what went down there last, I don't know if they'll be using that location again," Arrow comments with a sigh.

"What about uncle Elm's office, anything?" Andrei asks in return.

"Nothing alarming. Just him playing boss."

"Did he really hold a service for dad without us? Cremated him and spread his ashes?" Andrei asks.

"It seems so," Arrow replies softly, the guilt creeping up on her.

"What's going to happen now? Between us and him." Andrei asks to which Arrow replies with a shrug and sigh, staring off. 

~

As Arrow heads into the kitchen, she sees Bell making her way back to her bedroom. "Bell," She calls out loudly. Acting as if she hadn't heard her name being called, Bell continues walking - Subtly picking up the pace. Arrow runs toward her, using her hand to stop the door just as Bell was about to shut it.

"Bell, talk to me. How are you feeling? I haven't gotten a chance to see you since," Arrow says to her standing outside the door.

"Listen, I'm tired. We'll catch up another time," Bell answers dryly, avoiding eye contact with her.

"Bell, are you mad at me?! Because lately, it seems like you are going out of your way to avoid me," Arrows says to her softly.

Bell sighs, slowly raising her head to look at Arrow. She opens her mouth to speak but then shuts it shaking her head.

"Talk to me," Arrow says softly, moving her hand to place it on Bell's shoulders. To her shock, Bell recoils at her advance - Her hand falling past Bell.

"Bell?" Arrow asks sadly.

"I have to rest, Arrow," Bell says avoiding eye contact once more. She fully steps into her room, grabbing the door handle as she did so. Arrow steps back from the door, watching in dismay as Bell closes it in front of her. She stands in shock, staring at the closed door for a couple of seconds before heading back outside to her brother. Taking a seat next to him, she puts the earphones on, listening to the live feed from the bugs in Elmann's office.

He was talking to another man, a voice she didn't recognize. "Everything is in place, things are running smoothly. I'm thinking I might be able to start the trails sooner than the projected date," the man spoke.

"That's good news," Elmann replies.

"How are things on your end? It seems you have full control around here," The man says. "Where're Allister's children?"

"Yes. I run things now. Allister's children are out of the picture for now, but I know the eldest would find a way to poke her nose in my business. I'll have to keep an eye on her. For now, she is in the company of some rather despicable people - People I would rather not have around."

"Noted. I have to head to another meeting now. I'll be in touch Elmann," The man says. Arrow hears the scrape of a chair against the floor followed by footsteps and a door closing.

She sits and listens for a bit longer just about to log off when she hears a knock on Elmann's door.

"Enter," he calls out. "Ah, did you get the safe open?"

"Yes sir, but there wasn't anything inside."

"What?!" Elmann asks in shock.

"The safe was empty."