36. The Night That Keeps On Giving

NAOMI REID

Avery speeds down the relatively empty streets of Tares, her and Naomi on their way to Sean and Kai. A tense silence fills the car, both their minds occupied with anxious thoughts.

Naomi's brain couldn't decide what to focus on, all events from the past couple hours wreaking havoc in her mind. Her brother having found out about Lycans through a near attack - Her finding out Jensen was a Lycan himself - Even the situation with Dean and Calvin they'd just left. Her mind switched between scenarios, giving her a headache to go along with her aching throat.

"The night that keeps on giving!" Naomi thinks resentfully as she looks at the full moon in the sky - Practically twinkling with mischief as it shone down upon Tares City.

Checking the GPS on her phone, she points to the street ahead, letting Avery know where they had to go. Avery nods with an anxious sigh in response, her hands tightening against the wheel.

Naomi understood her fear. Sean being in a house with a hunter had her on edge too. Adding a shocked, scared, and confused Kai to the equation created a recipe for possible disaster.

As soon as they turn onto the street, they see Kai's wrecked car on the road ahead. Although not directly in the middle of the street, they still had to swerve around it to reach their destination.

Putting the car in park, Avery hops out of the vehicle. Leaving it idling with the door wide open she breaks out into a sprint toward the house. Naomi does the same, doing a little jog to catch up to her friend.

Avery rapidly knocks against the door, legs bouncing nervously as she stood waiting. The girls hear the sound of the latch unlocking before the door opens to reveal an old man.

"Ah, you must be here for my new friends. Come on in, we shouldn't be outside too much," The man says to them in a friendly manner. Naomi and Avery share a look before entering the home.

Spotting Sean standing off to the corner, Avery runs to him. Throwing herself into his arms she hugs him tightly, face buried in his neck.

Naomi spots Kai sitting on a leather recliner, his body tense as he stared off. She glances at the old man who came to stand beside her.

"He's been like that since I got them inside. He won't even look at his friend. I tried to coax him out of it but no luck," The old man whispers to her.

Nodding at him, Naomi makes her way to her brother, her steps slow and gentle. Stooping down in front of him Naomi shakes his leg to get his attention. Still moving carefully slow, she holds onto his chin, turning his head to face her.

Kai stares at her for a minute before fully coming to his senses, "What happened to your neck?!" He gasps out in shock, worry lacing his features.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Naomi croaked out, ignoring the burn in her throat. "I'm so sorry, Kai. I'll explain it all I promise!" She says to him before embracing him tightly in a hug. He hugs her back letting out a heavy sigh.

"Thank you so much, sir. For rescuing them," Avery says moving to shake the man's hand. "I can't express to you how grateful we are!"

"Oh don't you fret, it was the thing to do. Any other hunter would have done the same." He begins, dismissing her with a smile. "Besides, this has been the most Lycan-related excitement I've had since my grandson introduced me to the life of a hunter," He says, his tone almost giddy. "I'm still learning about them but I've always been a sharpshooter." He chuckles.