76. Partners In Crime

DEAN STRAKEN 

Dean hurriedly ends his call with Arrow and begins heading to the house. He didn't have the luxury of talking further or having her put Calvin on the phone. He wanted badly to speak to his friend after he spent all this time brainstorming ways to get him back - even fearing the possibility that he may not come up with a solution. 

Dean was beyond shocked when  Arrow informed him of Quinn's actions -  He was sure she would never let his friend go without getting what she wanted first. He'd expected the ordeal to be drawn out, with more negotiations and threats between them before she'd even consider letting him go. The fact that she went as far as to kidnap a colleague, his friend, had Dean assuming that Quinn would go the extra mile - using extortion to get her way. 

He didn't understand this sudden play from her, trying to figure out if there was an underlying plan to it all. She'd set Calvin free and now had nothing to hold over their heads, nothing to use against them - her entire reason for kidnapping in the first place. 

The weight of his Captain's glare on him had him picking up the pace to meet Kim- Lee who was waiting for him in their victim's home. It was only this morning when Dean arrived at the precinct did he understood why Quinn was so unafraid of him reporting her for what she did. Their Captain was in alliance with Luke Kennedy and had been for some time. As a Mayoral candidate backing a precinct Captain and as the head of a hunter organization backing an officer of the law. Quinn knew she was untouchable the moment she decided to take Calvin, using her position as one of Luke Kennedy's hunters to her advantage. Dean put the pieces together, recalling when Quinn had been seen talking with Josh Kennedy. She'd bragged about having the means to get away with her crimes and this was how. 

In his bid to become Mayor, Luke Kennedy chose to align their Captain and the precinct with his campaign. With that came his publicity team with their cameras, mics, and notepads - observing everything and transforming the precinct into a building filled with overzealous officers. Dean was glad to be out of there when the call regarding their case came in but his relief was short-lived when his captain decided to tag along. 

~

The case in question involved a missing Viviane Rockwell and her ransacked home. Although this was his and Kim-Lee's case, members from Quinn's task force were allowed to join as she was one of their persons of interest.  

Walking into the home, Dean goes to stand beside Kim-Lee who was already speaking to Joe. "Signs of a struggle in the kitchen seem like multiple assailants. We're not sure what they took or if they even found what they were looking for, her jewelry and other valuables are still in the home." Dean hears him tell her as he approaches. 

"Straken, nice of you to join," Joe comments jokingly. 

"Important call," He replies before turning to Kim-Lee. 

"Thanks, Joe," Kim-Lee says to him before placing her hand on Dean's arm and leading him to the stairs. "Quinn's team have taken it upon themselves to start looking around the home, despite my protests. I at least got them to start in the living room," She begins in annoyance.  "They're wanting to take over the case completely, I heard them conspiring."

"Take over our case?" Dean repeats as they walk up the stairs.

"Because Viviane is missing, assumed kidnapped," Kim-Lee elaborates. "I think Captain might allow it. With everything going on if they pitch it to him the right way..." She trails off with a sigh. "I hate having my cases taken from me, Dean,"