57. Pulled Back In

DEAN STARKEN

Finally spotting his target, Dean gets up from his seat and begins heading in their direction. Brisk, purposeful strides get him there in an instant - Dean forcing a pleasant smile onto his face as he readies himself to speak.

"Quinn, wait up," He calls out to the person he'd been waiting the entire day to talk to.

"What is it Straken? I'm swamped," She replies to him in a not-so-polite manner which Dean brushes off. 

"I wanted to talk to you about your task force," He begins, finding himself cut off by her laughter. 

"Ha, I saw this coming a mile away!" She laughs. "The answer is no, and I won't be changing my mind. Goodbye Straken, I have things to do."

"Wait Quinn-"

"I said no Straken!"

Dean lets out a groan as he watches her walk away from him, returning to his seat with a dejected sigh. "No luck, huh? I told you so." Calvin voices from his desk.

"Still had to try that route, you know," Dean begins. "But I have one more avenue to try before I give up on this."

"Let's say you do get in the task force, then what? It's hers, I'm sure she'll find a way to keep us separated and have me in her sights 24/7" Calvin rebuts. 

"One problem at a time. We can work around that once I get myself in," Dean states.

"You know, we have to give her props. Creating this task force. It's like multiple birds with one stone. She gets to get into my head with her hunter stuff, she gets to move in on Lycans under the disguise and protection of the law, she gets her organization closer to finding the drug, she'll probably get a promotion if this is successful, and who knows what other motives she's got."

"Yeah, she's a calculating one. Using this taskforce she created to get to you..."

"Maybe we're too hard on her. What if she wanted me in the task force because she genuinely thinks I have the skills to help? We've just been assuming the worst."

"Cal, there's no doubt in my mind that she'll use this opportunity to get to you. I just know it in my gut."

"Man, you sure you want to do this? Get pulled back into this mess?" Calvin begins. "I know what's up, I can just play my part and keep my distance. Make excuses or flat out run away anytime she brings up hunting."

Dean chuckles at his friend's statement, shaking his head. "I'm getting in." he declares, standing from his seat as he spots his captain. "Time for plan B," He says to Calvin.

"The captain? Damn, that's a low," Calvin snickers.

~

"STRAKEN!" Dean hears behind him as he opens his car door. Turning around, he sees an angry Quinn stomping toward him - Already knowing what was coming. Dean lets his car door shut as he waits for her to come to him, preparing himself for the conversation. He was ready, knowing exactly what angle he was going to play this at.

"Now Quin," He begins passively in hopes of calming her - His action having the opposite effect as he notices her fists clenching tightly.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON STRAKEN?! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!" She yells at him. Dean glances around the parking lot, noticing some officers stopping to look at them. There were a fair bit of people outside as it was the end of a work shift and the start of another. 

"Quinn, I know you're angry-"

"Angry!" She interrupts. "I'm not just angry Straken. I am pissed, annoyed and disrespected! You went to the captain, over my head, behind my back - To get into my task force! After I explicitly told you I didn't want you in it. You think you can just have your way in this precinct! You are a self-"