19. Changes In Relationships

DEAN STRAKEN

"We have IDs on all our bombers. Besides being seen together on a few occasions it doesn't look like they were close friends," Dean says to Calvin.

"Family?" Calvin asks.

"None of them were married, no girlfriends either. The best we have is a list of their employers," Dean responds as he flips through the file in his hand.

"Alright, let's go see if we can figure out why these guys decided to blow up a hospital," Calvin says getting up from his seat. The two of them head to the car, Dean getting behind the driver's seat.

"They just updated the number of casualties," Calvin informs him as he swipes on his phone. "Thirty-two dead, Forty-five injured."

Dean takes a sharp inhale, "Damn!" He exclaims.

"You know, having a vendetta against someone is one thing, but blowing up a hospital! Innocent people who aren't involved in whatever it is have to pay the price! There were children there! How angry – How mad, do you have to be to do such a thing like that?" Calvin comments. "Call them monsters and then you proceed to blow up a hospital. Who're the real monsters then huh?"

Dean remains quiet after Calvin's little speech. The way Calvin moved and spoke made him feel as if he understood more than he was letting on – His detective instincts screaming at him his partner was moving differently.

"Doesn't this rub you the wrong way?" Calvin says after a moment, turning to look at Dean.

"Yeah, yeah it does," He says back to him.

"It's like someone opened Pandora's Box," Calvin comments softly, looking out the window. Dean glances between his friend and the road before humming in agreement.

~

They pull up to their final stop. The work address of the last bomber. Calvin got out of the car, heading for the entrance. Dean did the same, doing his best to keep a scowl off his face. He walked into the familiar building behind Calvin, the two of them walking to the front desk.

"Straken?! Surprised you're showing your face around here again!" The receptionist says out in surprise making Dean cringe.

Calvin turns sharply to face Dean, "You've been here before? You know her?" He asks in shock – Dean also picking up hints of judgment in his tone.

"I've been here a couple of times yeah," Dean answers before quickly changing the topic. "We're here to speak to Max Kilmer's employer," He says to the receptionist formally.

"She isn't in today," The receptionist answers in a fake pleasant tone. "Would you rather speak to the man in charge? Mr. Elmann Berlin? I'm sure he could help you two detectives with whatever it is you need," She says, aiming the last bit at Calvin. Dean saw through her façade, seeing the mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Yes, we'd love to speak to Mr. Berlin," Calvin answers. "Is there anyone here who worked closely with Mr. Kilmer? – We'd need to speak to those persons as well."

"Yeah, a few of his co-workers in today. Can I ask what this is about, detectives?" She says sweetly.

Dean goes to reply but Elmann walks through the doors before he could say anything. He curses in his mind but keeps a blank expression. Dean and Elmann lock eyes as he walks toward them.

"Ah, sir. I was just about to ring you," The receptionist says to him. "These detectives need to talk to you about Kilmer."

"Kilmer? Is he in trouble? Danger?" Elmann says as he reaches them. "Hello, I'm Elmann, I run the place," he introduces himself to Calvin putting out his hand. Calvin accepts, shaking his hand, "Detective Wilson, my partner Detective Straken. Is there someplace we can talk?"