In a sweet trap

As he had said, Jake wouldn't try anything anymore.

He would still offer a hand to Heeseung on their way to school, but he stopped imposing himself as much as he used to. No hugging, no lying on Heeseung's lap, no waist holding.

At first, it was rather reassuring to Heeseung.

But quickly enough, he felt it come back...

This eagerness, this desire for attention... He wanted Jake to stop treating him like all their other friends, he wanted Jake to look at him more...

When Jake would touch him, the feeling of his warmth would linger on Heeseung for the whole day, and he would start to miss it. But, except when he would offer his hand to hold on their way to school, as promised, Jake wouldn't consciously touch Heeseung without being given his express permission first.

Heeseung understood this very well, but asking for it felt so humiliating. So, to try and give Jake a hint, Heeseung started to stare at him a little too long at times.
He started to engage in little skinship, like touch his shoulder, or lie against him.
He started to talk in a suggestive way, even in front of their friends.

And at times, it felt like Jake was responding. Because Heeseung could sometimes feel him get closer. His body weighting more on his shoulder, or his face coming closer and closer to his own. But to Heeseung's disarray, he never crossed a certain line.

Then, one day, while Heeseung and Jake were working around the kitchen after dinner, while Maria was reading on the couch, they ended up side by side.

Jake was washing the dishes, and Heeseung was drying them up. When Jake handed a dish to Heeseung, he would bend a little towards him, and their shoulders would touch, giving Heeseung shivers.

It went on for what seemed like forever.

Heeseung's heartbeat was going faster without him realizing it, and his body heat was rising.

Then, suddenly, Jake stopped moving and turned to him.

"Heeseung, are you alright?" he asked on a worried tone.
Heeseung turned to him, looking at him with an interrogating glare.
"You're a bit red. Do you feel feverish?"

And as he was saying so, Jake took off his dishwashing glove, and raised his hand to Heeseung's forehead to take his temperature.

At this moment, Heeseung knew.

While his body was set on fire, and his heart had jump out of his chest, he knew he couldn't continue like this, and that he had to put an end to these stupid feelings.