Chapter 8

I woke early in the morning. It had of only been  3 or 4 hours since I'd actually fallen asleep. The moon still shone through the windows. Staring up at it, I was still amazed at how different it felt under its light rather than the sun.

"You awake?" Edmond asked groggily next to me.

"Yeah."

"Can't sleep?"

"No."

"Me either." He pushed himself up and fluffed his pillows before pulling me up and into his arms. "It's going to be okay."

"How do you know? We have no idea if it's going to be okay," I said, snuggling against his chest.

"It has to be. There is no other choice than for it to be okay."

"I don't think that's how that works, Edmond."

"I dunno. I mean, everything has always been okay before."

"Yeah. I suppose."

He kissed the top of my head and we just lay there listening to the pops of the embers in the fireplace and watching the moon slowly drift beyond the horizon.

I sat up, pulling on my nightshirt when I heard the door to our suite opening. Stretching, I looked my dear mate who had finally drifted off to sleep. I was tempted to wake him, but he looked peaceful slumbering. 

"I wish I could sleep like that," I muttered, dragging myself toward the door leading to our living space.

"Madame," a young servant said, dipping into a curtsy.

"Hi. Good morning." I looked at the silver tray and noticed that the usual mocha something or others that Reuben made was replaced with a pot of brewed coffee.

My heart hurt a bit as I thought of the boy running through strange territory.

"Ma'am? Is everything okay?" the girl asked.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. Fine. I was just thinking..."

"Reuben?" she asked.

"How did you know?" I questioned.

"Your usual coffees are not there and I know he's gone."

"Right."

"I miss him to, ma'am."

"You do?"

She nodded her head, sending her soft, blonde curls bouncing about her shoulders. "Very much."

"Uh huh. How much is much?"

I could see tears well up in her eyes.

"So, how long have you been here?"

"A few months."

"What's your name?"

"Mine?" she asked.

"Indeed. Yours."

"Oh. Um, my name is Abigail."

"Abigail. How old are you?"

"I'm 18."

"How old is Reuben? Um, he just turned 18 a few weeks ago."

I smiled coyly. "Oh, did he now?"

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. I'm glad he has someone who cares for him so much here."

"He has you, ma'am."

"I do care for him, but we don't get to talk much, so I'm glad he has you."

I could see her cheeks flush.