Chapter 23

King Orsand turned on his heels, his face was red and his eyes full of anger.

"All council meeting. Now!" he bellowed while storming off to the conference room.  

"Your royal majesties, if you'll excuse us for just a bit," Edmond said, following after the king.

"El, what was that?" Prince Zephyr whispered to me.

"That is a problem in our kingdom which I hope is going to be fixed now."

I hurried to catch up as the other wolves followed close behind, silent. Anwar sat, staring down at the table.

"Alpha, I am sorry but I'm taking the decision away from you," Orsand said, standing behind his chair.

He shook his head and started pacing behind us. 

"It is absolutely unacceptable for any wolf, let alone a future alpha, to attack a member of the royal family. And not just any royal family member, the crown princess and future queen of our entire realm!"

"Sire, I underst..."

Orsand held up his hand. "No. You are a good man, Anwar, but you have been making excuses for him for too long." 

He turned to the guards. "Bring the prisoner up."

My heart sped up. I didn't think he would be brought to us. If Alex had another outburst, did we have enough guards to react in time?

It was almost as though they thought the same thing I did. As the other leaders started to murmur amongst themselves four of our elite guards surrounded my chair. I glanced up at them briefly. Orsand walked beside me and placed a strong yet reassuring paw on my shoulder.

"I won't let him hurt you, my pup."

I smiled meekly. I wasn't supposed to appear so weak. 

Edmond reached over and grabbed my hand. He doesn't think you're weak, my love.

I suppose. I thought back to him.

He doesn't. He just doesn't know what to expect from Alex.

I tried to steady my breathing as the doors opened and Alex was ushered in, shackles on his arms.

"Alexander, future Alpha of Moon Mist, what have you to say for yourself?" Orsand asked.

My father stood, seething with anger and hatred. "That boy..."

"Beta Kenrick, please sit." Orsand turned back to Alex who stood tall and defiant. 

"That mutt you call a princess is nothing more than an instigator."

"Pardon me?" Orsand asked.

"She trying to steal what belongs to me! She's taking away my mate!"

Orsand nodded his head and looked down at me. I diverted my gaze and tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

"You mean Harmony?"

"Yes, Harmony. My property!"

Alex tried to continue but Orsand held up his hand. "Alexander, your mate is not your property. Your mate is your partner. They are the one other being in this kingdom that you are supposed to love unconditionally. They are to give you advice, counsel, and be your other half. A wolf's mate is not property. The way you have behaved over these last years has proved that even with your mate you are not fit to be an Alpha. You are an immature, selfish, and dangerous wolf."

Alex raised his chained arms and pointed at me. "She is stealing Harmony!"

"The princess is utilizing those around her to help save the entire mythic world. Harmony is serving her kingdom."

"Harmony is nothing. She's not useful. She's my mate. The mother of my pups. That mutt has no claim on her!"

"You can stop calling Princess Elanor a mutt. She is far from a mutt. You on the other hand, I question your lineage at this point."

Orsand took a deep breath.

"Sire, please, I know what my son has done is inexcusable, but before you pass down judgment may I say something?"

"Of course, Alpha."

Anwar stood, putting his hands on the table in front of him, trying to steady himself. "Alex, I blame myself for this. For too long I have made excuse after excuse for your behavior. I let you get away with so much when I should have reigned you in a long time ago. I should have put my foot down when I noticed the way you were treating Harmony the first time. Perhaps even before then. It is within my authority, as Alpha, to strip you of your titles and your standing within the pack."

"What? No, you can't do that! You can't! I'm the future Alpha!" Alex screamed.

"Silence!" Orsand commanded.

"Alex, you will not be the future Alpha. Beta Kenrick, when my time as Alpha comes to an end your eldest child, Tristan, will be the new Alpha. Gamma Arthur, your eldest child, Richard, will be the new Beta. And so on and so forth."

Alex dropped to his knees and cried. My father, he looked pleased. It was an ending to this problem I could tell he was satisfied with. 

"Very well," Orsand said. "I concur with the Alpha's decree. Beta Kenrick, your son Tristan is now the future Alpha of Moon Mist."

"What of Alex?" Edmond asked, glaring at the pathetic wolf before us. 

"He is banished from the Royal City. Winter Lake will no longer host wolves who behave in such a way that they feel it is within their right to attack the royal family. Alpha Anwar, what happens beyond our border is up to you."

"Thank you, majesty." Anwar bowed to Orsand before taking his seat again.

The guards dragged Alex away kicking and screaming. 

Tristan will be happy with this turn of events. I thought to Edmond.

I'm sure he will. As will your sister-in-law. The future Luna.

She will be a wonderful Luna. She's so kind.

What about Harmony? Edmond thought.

I'm still helping her. It's honestly one of the biggest reasons she's coming to help me. I'll make her the potion while we're away from the kingdom.

Do you think it will work?

I looked at him. I don't know. I hope so.

"That settles that then. This meeting is over. Now, we must call in the other mythic royals to discuss a bigger problem that is encroaching on our kingdom." He motioned to the guards to bring in the other royals from the surrounding kingdoms. "Now, ladies and gentlemen, we have our plan, when do we enact it?"

"Now?" I asked.

"Are we prepared to act now?" he questioned.

I looked at Emond and Zephyr who both nodded their heads.

"Yes," I said. "I can find Harmony and we can set off now. If everyone else can go to their respective kingdoms to speak with the royals and governors, we should have our answers and be back within a week's time."

"Do we have a week?" Arthur asked.

"Do you need more help?" Rich asked, standing up. "I'm not a warrior or a guard, but I can fight. I can be diplomatic. I want to help."

"Rich? You do?"

He nodded his head.

"Okay. Yeah. I think having someone else with us will help. We can probably get to another kingdom."

"Will we still be here in a week?" Arthur asked again.

"Hopefully," my father said.

"Hopefully? I don't like hopefully."

"We'll be fine," Edmond said.

"I will stay here and gather our guards and warriors. Everyone knows what to do, I will see everyone in a week."

We stood and I went on my hunt for Harmony.