Chapter 27

"Was it really that bad?" Edmond asked.

"Yeah. I definitely got the heeby jeebies from it."

"Did you get what you needed?" he asked again.

I nodded my  head. "Thankfully there were some growing on the outside of the entrance that were pretty easy to grab."

"Let's go home."

"Yes! Please!" Harmony shouted as she and Blaze finally caught up.

"I'm done flying," Blaze said. "I'm tired."

Titan laughed. "You could use the exercise."

"Shut up," Blaze grumbled.

As we made our way back to Selenea, the city shimmered in the distance, the majestic spires of the castle reaching towards the sky. The journey had been long and treacherous, but we had finally accomplished our mission. Even the secret one that nobody knew about.

"Oh my Goddess," Harmony said in whispered astonishment.

"What?" Edmond asked.

"Look down," she responded.

I didn't want to. I knew it would be bad.

My breath caught in my throat, the amount of goblins, trolls, and ogres seemed to triple. They were crawling over top one another trying to break through the barrier that protected our realm.

I hope Artemis' barrier can withstand this for a bit longer.

As we approached the back of the castle we could see the pups outside playing. Selenea was our sanctuary, a place of safety and respite. For now at least. 

I slid from Zephyr's back and ran into the castle. 

"Majesty?" I called, running into the King's office.

"Elanor! You're all back! Wonderful."

"Was everyone else successful?" I asked.

"Indeed. The armies are gathering with Andrew."

"Are they here?"

"Um, no. He took everyone to the Blackpaw Howlers pack," Orsand said. "Why?"

"I don't think our barrier is going to hold up for much longer. There are even more of the goblins, trolls and ogres. They're going to break through."

He stood from his desk and followed me from the castle. When we reached the doors at the back of the kitchen a horrendous cracking resounded through the entire area. It sounded like lightning striking the top of a mountain.

"What was that?" Harmony asked, looking behind her.

The sounds of trees crashing and these horrendous screams erupted from all around us.

"We're out of time. We need the army. Now," I yelled before shifting in my wolf form.

I looked around as the daycare nannies grabbed the pups into their arms and ran into the castle. The guards and others around shifted, preparing to fight off the hoard. 

'I'm going to the Blackpaw Howlers. We need the army,' I thought to Edmond. 

'Hurry. I don't know how long we can hold them off.'

'It should take them some time to get here. They're not that fast.'

He nodded his furry head as I turned and ran. 

"Elanor! I'm coming with you!" 

I looked up to see Zephyr flying over head. I let out a bark and led him toward the warrior pack.