Chapter 17

"Are you sure you want to go?" Edmond asked, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Not really, but do we have a choice?"

"Not really." He kissed the side of my neck.

"I hate being away from the pups," I said, leaning back into his body.

"I do too, but such is the life of a prince and princess. We have to do the things nobody else wants to or  can."

"We should get to sleep. Morning comes fast."

He let me go as we snuggled into bed. My eyes closed and the next thing I knew my alarm was going off. I smacked the clock and rolled over groaning. 

"Time to get up."

"No," I groaned.

"Yes. We have a lot of ground to cover in as little bit of time as we can."

"Fine. Fine. Up I go. I'm up."

I climbed out of bed and dragged myself to the sitting area. A tray with coffee and sausage biscuits sat on the table. I picked up the card that sat on the tray and giggled a bit.

Dearest Prince Edmond and Princess Elanor,

Safe travels. Eat. Drink the coffee. Don't be late.

Phil 

"Phil to the rescue."

"What?" Edmond asked, pulling a t-shirt on.

"Why are you even putting on a shirt? You're going to be taking it off in like twenty minutes."

He shrugged his shoulders and ate one of the biscuits while reading the card over my shoulder. Pouring the coffee, I picked up a sandwich and happily ate it while spooning sugar into my cup.

"You ready?" Edmond asked, scarfing another biscuit.

"Mmm hmm."

We grabbed our packs, before sneaking into the pups' room to kiss their sweet little foreheads. Freddy did his typical little growl he did when he was interrupted.

We snuck from the suite and headed toward the back garden.

Turning down a corridor, we ran right into Alex. 

Why is he slinking around?

"Watch it," he growled.

"Excuse you?" I asked, stepping in front of him.

"You heard me. Watch where you're going."

"You absolutely will not speak to my mate, and your princess, in that manner. Why are you roaming around my castle?"

"I couldn't sleep. I apologize for my attitude," he grumbled before pushing past us.

I watched as he kept walking down the hall.

"I don't like him," Edmond said.

"I don't either. At all."

Amelia and Orsand waited for us in the garden. They hugged us and stepped back, turning around, while Edmond and I removed the clothes we had on and shifted into our wolf form. I picked up my bag with my teeth and handed it to Amelia so she could tie it around my neck. She ruffled the fur on my head and kissed my snout.

Orsand tied Edmond's on his neck and stroked the fur on his neck.

"Be well you two," he said.

We nodded our heads and took off running across the meadow toward Loseldoon. It would take us some time to get there and it would be treacherous. Especially since there were goblins out trolling around beyond our border shooting people with venom darts.

As we ran through the forest, our senses were heightened and we felt the energy of all the creatures around us. The way the trees smelled with the wind blowing through the leaves, the scent of deer, rabbits, and birds filled the air. We were fully immersed in the activity of the forest, feeling the interconnectedness of all the living things within it. The forest was truly alive, and we reveled in the experience of being a part of it.

We reached a stream that flowed through the center of the forest and stopped to take a quick drink. As I lapped up the cool and refreshing water, an unpleasant odor invaded my nostrils. The scent was putrid, and it smelled like dirty creatures, tiny ones. It could only mean one thing – goblins.

I looked at Edmond. His head was up as water and drool dripped from his mouth. He looked around trying to track down the smells.

Goblins. 

Yeah. I just can't track where it's coming from. He thought to me.

Um, I think it's everywhere.

Shit. El, we gotta move. Now.

We leaped across the stream as a dart whizzed past my head, embedding in a tree. 

Run! Edmond thought yelled. 

We leaped across the stream just as a dart whizzed past my head and embedded in a tree. I pushed my legs as hard as they could go. My muscles burned and my lungs felt like they were going to explode.

We weren't nearly as fast as Reuben, and that scared me.

Are we going to make it? I asked to Edmond.

We have to get out of their territory. They shouldn't be able to leave their territory. Go Left and up the hill. Griffin territory isn't far from here. 

That's right! I thought. They're the next kingdom over.

We ran side by side up the hill toward the kingdom of the mighty Griffins. Beyond the tree line was all the further we had to go before the goblins would have to stop their assault on us.

We burst through the trees and into a field of daffodils, running toward a castle in the distance. Small cottages came up in front of us, small griffins ran about the streets as others flew overhead.

"You there! Wolves!" a booming voice shouted from above us.

Don't stop. Keep going. We can explain at the castle. Edmond thought.

Right.

"Wolves! We order you to stop! Now!"

The griffins swooped down in our way trying to block our path. I rolled under the one in front of me as Edmond leaped over the one that landed on the ground in front of him.

The castle grew larger as we got closer. The drawbridge was raising and with the last of my strength, I jumped, landing on the other side, right outside the gates.

Edmond landed next to me. We breathed heavily as the two Griffins landed in front of us.

"Wolves! You trespass on Griffin territory!"

Do we shift?  I asked.

I mean, we should, but we'll be naked.

Does that matter to Griffins? Do they know what we look like naked?

Edmond shrugged his furry shoulders as he shifted back into his human form. He knelt there, panting, in his naked glory. 

"Griffins," he said. "We are Prince Edmond and Princess Elanor from the kingdom of Selenea. We wish to have an emergency council with King Aquilastrum. Our kingdoms are under attack."

"What? We are not under attack."

I shifted into my human form. "There are goblins between our kingdoms attacking everyone."

"Let them in!" a loud and commanding voice boomed from within the castle walls. "We do not treat other kingdoms' royalty in such a way."

I took my bag from around my neck and quickly dug out a pair of pants and a t-shirt before walking in. Edmond strolled into the castle in all of his naked glory.

The man had no shame.