07

The butterflies were once again clawing up my chest and burrowing in my throat as Michael led us over to the group, Ashton's eyes fixated on me the entire stretch. He almost looks nervous.

Get it together, Cara.

Michael introduces us and we're graciously greeted with waves and raised drinks from his other friends, and one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen smiles to me as she leans into Ashton's body.

Okay, then.  Maybe this wasn't the best idea.

"And you already know this fucker." Michael playfully ruffles the sandy locks in front of us, making Ashton grip his hand and shove it away.

"Fuck off." He grumbles, and I bite back a chuckle. They're so brotherly, it's hilarious.

"Fight me, bitch. I dare you." Michael taunts sandy locks with a shit-eating grin on his face. He's a little instigator when he drinks. Good to know.

"Oh! Good icebreaker idea!" Jess beams next to me, making Ashton laugh.

"We fight each other?"

"No, asshole. Truth or dare!" Jess playfully kicks his shin with her boot. He doesn't flinch.

"Fuck no." He grumbles and downs some of his drink, clearly annoyed.

"Come on, Irwin. You don't wanna pretend we're in high school and play some silly game?" The girl next to him teases, resting her head on his shoulder to look up at him. I don't even want to ask what's going on there.

"What about never have I ever?" Jess offers, hoping for more volunteers.

"Sounds lame." Ashton shrugs and slumps back into the couch further. My eyes roll.

"I'm in!" I announce. Jess grins at my enthusiasm and so does Michael. Ashton's eyes are back to me with his lip between his teeth and his brows scrunched together. He looks irritated for a second, but he's quick to shake it off with an eye roll and lean forward.

"Fuck it, not like we have anything else to do."

Jess squeals at his participation.

"Are you in, Nova?" Michael asks, making her sit up and reach for her drink that was on the table beside her.

"Sure. Cal and Luke playing?"

"Playing what?" I hear that familiar voice behind me and I glance back, finding the tall blond.

"Never have I ever, now sit down." Jess practically scolds them, giving them no time to think before they sink to the floor.

"Here, Cara. Take my spot." Nova scoots to the other end of the couch, patting the cushion between her and Ashton. I could throw up.

"Thanks." I send her a smile and plop down next to Ashton, hearing a deep breath beside me.

Maybe Nova isn't a threat, after all.

"Hey, Misty." Ashton says softly, glancing down at me with a small smirk that makes me giggle.

"Hey." I smile up to him, praying he can't hear my rapid heartbeat. Literally said one word to him and I can barely keep it together.

I take a quick sip of my drink, hoping it will neutralize my nerves as fast as possible. It's hard to be your bubbly confident self when you're riddled with anxiety.

"So instead of fingers, you drink." Nova reminds us of the rules and my stomach knots. This should be interesting to see.

Jess starts the game off with an easy one to get people to drink, and it makes me laugh. That's always been her party trick. Whenever we'd play these games, she'd be so competitive so she'd throw lowball questions to get people out the quickest.