49

Ashton sleeps like he's fucking dead. No matter how many feeble attempts I've made to wake him, or with Michael's shining laughter echoing throughout the bedroom, he doesn't stir one bit. He's laid on me like a rock, his head on my stomach and curls tangled in my fingers.

"I've already got the booze handled. She just went to work for the day so that buys us some time." Michael scratches his stubbly jaw while he screws his eyes shut in thought. "We just need the other random shit; cups, ice, beer, maybe firewood if we want to have another bonfire?"

"And a cake." I add from my spot against the headboard, absently playing with Ashton's hair as he sleeps on me. Michael barged in this morning the second Jess was out of the house to call an emergency meeting for the party planning committee. Though it was clear I was locked in from Ashton's arms around my waist and his shaggy head in my lap, Michael persisted with an eye roll and hopped on the bed to chat.

"I've got that covered. It'll be ready tomorrow to pick up. I just have to run and grab her gift but it's like an hour out of town." Michael explains, knitting his brows together as if he were in pain. I chuckle at his dramatics.

"I'll take care of the rest of the shopping today. She'll be away long enough tomorrow?" I say quietly, tugging the sleeves of Ashton's sweatshirt further down my wrists. He snorts.

"I'm sending her out with Alex to get her nails done for her birthday. Knowing her, she'll go all out and be there for hours." He humorously shakes his head at himself, I laugh. She probably will be there for hours.

"You're sure you want to go shopping? I can take care of it if you're too..." He trails off to glance down at Ashton's sleepy self cuddled into my stomach, drawing a smirk when he looks back to me. "Busy?"

"I'm off today and it's supposed to be nice outside. Get me a list and I'll handle it." I roll my eyes at his boyish gin, wishing I wasn't wrapped up to smack it off his face. Instead, I return my focus to Ashton's hair, twirling the soft locks between my fingers while Mike continues his rambling.

It seems like we have this party all figured out. After we get the rest of the supplies today, the execution for tomorrow should be fairly easy, with the help of everyone. Jess just needs to keep herself busy and unsuspecting. That'll be the tricky part.

"Guys," Nova appears in the door frame, hair twisted up in a loose knot and shoulders shrugged in defeat. Michael snickers as she joins us on Ashton's bed. "I have no idea what to get Jess for her birthday."

"You haven't gotten her a present yet?!" Michael sounds genuinely in awe, eyebrows furrowing in irritation. Nova rolls her eyes at his outward judgement and groans.

"I've been wrestling with this idea, but I don't know..." She pulls her knees to her chest while she sits at the foot of the bed, careful not to wake the resting beast we surrounded. It's a bit funny, all of us on Ashton's bed chatting like he's not even here. It's even funnier knowing how annoyed he'd be if he woke up to this.

"I was thinking of giving her a free tattoo for her birthday. Anytime, any design." Nova's voice curls convincingly, questioning our thoughts on her gift.

"Do a piercing." Michael sweetens the pot with his Jess expertise. I'm still baffled by Nova's idea.

"Shit, I'll take you up on that, Nova." I grin to her, earning a sheepish smirk on her behalf.

"You want to get a tattoo?" Nova's eyebrow quirks to convey her disbelief, like it was an absurd thought as she eyes my bare skin.

"I've always wanted one, maybe a few. I've never had the time." I shrug it off while my eyes fall to Ashton's head, drawing to the small bird inked on the back of his neck hidden by his shaggy hair.  He nuzzles his face further into my stomach when I trace my finger over the ink to urge me further.