26

"I can't believe you." Ashton's head shakes with disgust as we continue our stroll down the boardwalk, embracing the warmth radiating from the bright sun above. The weather was perfect for today; not too humid, not too windy, and just the perfect temperature for a mid-day walk.

"You're the one who's weird." I fire back, munching on the last few bites of my cheeseburger.

"I'm not the one who actually likes pickles." He scoffs dramatically, clearly annoyed with his food. The cashier at the walk-up window forgot to remove the pickles from his order. It must've been a personal vendetta from the cashier, considering Ashton sternly mentioned his disgust for the dill condiment multiple times, only for him to end up with extra pickles on his sandwich. 

"Everyone likes pickles." My brows lower at him in defense, biting back a laugh at his growing irritation as he furiously picks off each and every slice on his sandwich.

"Not me." He grumbles with a cringe, ridding his food from the vinegary slices and dropping them in a pile on his paper food tray.

"More for me, then." I tease him, snatching a pickle slice from his tray and popping it into my mouth. He looks at me with distaste, clearly judging my actions.

"You're so gross." His head shakes as he watches me happily snack from his discard pile on his tray.

"And you're so dramatic." I laugh at him and wiggle a slice in front of his face before placing it on my tongue. The civil banter was something I still wasn't used to with him, it was unfamiliar terrain to just be joking around and chatting with him so casually. I'm starting to realize he's not as intimidating and brooding as I put him out to be.

"Am not." He grumbles to himself with a huff, taking a bite out of his refreshed sandwich.

"Mhm." I narrow my eyes at him as we walk. A cool breeze rolls off the ocean waves as we approach the secluded pier, blanketing my warm skin with a gentle chill.

Gulls squawk in every direction, circling the various groups of people scattered down the strip of food stands lining the back end of the boardwalk. For an early afternoon, it wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. Typically, on a perfect day like today, the shops would be packed full of patrons and food stand lines would go on for miles. It was shocking we were even able to settle on the wooden barriers that overlook the calm ocean. Usually you'd have to jump up or shove yourself through the horde of people to get a glance.

I toss my trash into the designated barrel once we approached the edge of the pier, resting my crossed arms to lean forward. I sigh, taking in the relaxing pheromones from the salty water below me, each wave beaming a flash of light from the glaring sun.

"I've always loved it here." I mumble, letting my eyes follow the current rolling through and underneath the dock. I'm not sure if he was listening, or if I was really talking to anyone but myself, but I didn't mind. This was unfiltered peace, nothing could disturb it.

Ashton hums beside me, mirroring my actions once he's tossed his garbage out and leans against the wooden ledge.

"You can't deny that view." He says appreciatively, bending his knee to rest his boot on the lower slat. His white tee ruffled with the wind, effortlessly draping his body and accentuating his broad shoulders and strong arms, begging for my attention. The cuffs of his sleeves hug his large biceps as he holds himself against the railing, the intricately inked snake on his skin peeking out from beneath the white fabric. A warm breeze combs through his sandy curls and drew his hair back out of his face, letting the bright sun shine on his chiseled features and stubbled jaw. Something about him was so pleasing to look at. He was like a piece of art.