20

"To the perfect night." Michael boasts, raising his beer bottle in the breezy night air as we all follow him down the street. Their house wasn't too far from the beach, maybe a ten minute walk. We were in no shape to drive, but I'd rather bask in the evening air for a calm stroll.

"Here here!" Cheers are made in celebration of the evening, and I bite back the uncontrollable grin on my blushed face as I lift my cup.

After my stunt with Calum, the reaction from Ashton made me feel invincible, like I could do anything I wanted. I had him in the palm of my hand, no matter how badly he didn't want to admit it. I hurt him the way he hurt me, made him extremely jealous and that alone proves that he cares. Everything he said before was just a front, but part of me always knew that.  I'm glad I was able to confirm my own thoughts and bring ease to the waging war in my head over the truth.

"You are one crazy fucker. I'm never getting on your bad side." Nova snickers to me with approval, gently bumping into me.

"I never knew you had it in you. You gave that bastard what he deserves." Michael winks at me, playfully nicking my chin with his fist and clicking his tongue as he walks backwards.

"My partner helped me sell it." I bite my lip with a smile as I look back at Calum who looks equally as pleased.

"We proved a point. And it was damn fun." Calum smugly smiles with a shrug, making me blush at the pride in his eyes. 

I'm just lucky that Luke was with Alex and wasn't present for the show.  That would've been a much bigger problem.

He doesn't need to know about it either, I know that would just rile him up and I don't want to deal with that. I'm assuming that's why Michael had him load up the car and haul all of our shit back to the house while we all walked back.

The night had just begun, we didn't stay too much longer due to the declining temperature and that the beach curfew is only 10pm, so we figured we'd keep the party going back at the house. I was more comfortable that I had Calum's shirt to keep me somewhat warm.

The butterflies in my stomach were restless knowing that we're headed right where Ashton probably is, and I know it'll be anything but fun.

Michael was too hell bent on playing beer pong, and I know he would kidnap me regardless, so I was mentally preparing to face the music.

After a couple more minutes of aimless walking, Calum eventually jogged up the front steps to the house to open up for the rest of us. Luke and Alex were already here, greeting us as we stumbled through the front door with high spirits and excitement.

"Took you long enough." Alex jokes with narrow eyes, gravitating toward Jess and I before we're immediately wrapped into a bear hug.

"Not all of us were able to drive back." Jess retorts, playfully spanking her and making her squirm. Her startled reaction nearly toppled us over.

Michael herds us all into the living room once our drinks of choice were in hand and I plop down on the couch beside Nova who was already wrapped up in a blanket to cover her bikini. She looked so comfortable.

"What are we doing?" Luke asks as he takes a seat in the chair across from me. Calum slumps down next to him as everyone finds their place for our makeshift circle.

"Truth or dare!" Jess exclaims with a lazy grin, and I can already tell she's tipsy. Her tell is her squinted eyes, always.

"Stupid." I groan under my breath, slouching back into the couch. Jess was always a sucker for those drinking games, she never got sick of it. It was her way of breaking the ice and forcing people to become comfortable with each other.