42

Cara's POV

I made the wrong choice of wearing heels tonight. My feet were aching with every step as I trekked down the sidewalk, trying to keep up with those heavy boots stomping a few paces in front of me. It wasn't fair, his long legs carried him further and faster than I could follow.

"Ash, slow down!" I call out after him, squeezing my arms over my chest from the cool breeze that left goosebumps in its wake. His shaggy head drops with a huff. His fists shake at his sides, his determined paced never faltering as he storms down the street, ignoring me.

My terrible footwear and the alcohol coursing through my veins kept me a few steps behind him, slowing me down from dashing to his side. I wasn't sure why he was so pissed off. I figured he'd be proud with the way he sent that douchebag and his little friends out of the bar, all scared shitless from his intimidation. I could see that smug look on his face from a mile away, I don't know why he's acting like this right now.

I'll admit, I was a little nervous the second he had that idiot's throat in his hand. I didn't know how far he'd take it, all I could do was watch with an anxious anticipation of his next move. It all happened so fast and it's almost like a blur in my head at this point. By the time the fire was put out, he barreled through the crowd and straight through the front door. Everyone else was and still is on the dance floor. It was extremely intense and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but the alcohol in my system is definitely helping my calm state.

His broad shoulders roll under his worn leather jacket with irritation, unruly curls pushed atop his head while he keeps his frenzied speed, ignoring my pleading calls behind him. I wasn't sure if I should follow or just let him go, let him do whatever he needed to do to cool down. Part of me wanted to leave him be, most people need space when they're amped up like this. But a bigger part of me knew this was partially my fault and I needed to help fix this to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid.

"Ash, where are you going?" I groan out, trying to catch my breath as I hurry down the street behind him. My eyes were watering from the brisk night air, I could barely see in front of me. I was shivering for warmth. My feet were carrying me faster than I thought. My blurred vision made me crash into the immobile body that wasn't walking anymore. My breath catches in my throat on the impact of my cheek against the rough leather, I stumble a step back to keep myself upright.

Ashton's body eventually turns to me, his face that was scrunched in anger now softening at my clumsy approach. I wipe my eyes before I look up to him and he's already watching me with concern, taking in my irritated eyes and shivering frame. A hint of guilt spreads across his face when he looks at me. His eyebrows lower.

He huffs with pursed lips, shrugging his jacket off of his shoulders without breaking eye contact. I stood frozen, my brain too muddled to find something to say from his unreadable state. His chest heaves when he takes a step closer, looking down at me before his jacket is slung over my back and swallowing me whole. An involuntary whine pushes from my chest at the warm relief, I wrap the leather tighter around me. A small smile tugs at my lips.  It smells just like him.

Ashton's fingers twitch at his sides once I'm taken care of, his head falling back like he can't wrack his brain. I don't think he even knew what to do, it was almost like he was blindly looking up to the sky for an answer. I could see it on his face since we left. While he took control of the situation and had the upper hand, he didn't feel that way on the inside. I knew he wanted to push it further and probably ruin that guy for my sake. Part of me is a little shocked he didn't, Luke's apprehension only proved that. But I could see the slight panic in his eyes that he hid well, only not well enough from me. He was scared of taking it too far, that he wouldn't be able to stop it no matter how strong the urge was. It was a little unsettling to see that side of him, more so the way he reacted to it. I don't think he'd ever admit it to me, let alone himself, and I'm sure it's eating him alive. He was scared of himself.