54

Cara's POV

Run. Get the fuck out and run.

Every instinct was shouting at me to sprint as fast as I fucking could and never look back.

"Did you see who's here?" My mom beams as she bursts into the kitchen, arms wide open while I stand frozen in my spot at the bar. My feet wouldn't listen to me. Run, bitch. Fucking run.

"He looks so much older." My mom's arms wrap around me, assuming I'm nervous, and the circles she rubs on my back are far from soothing. "You know, he said he'd love to give things another shot."

"What?" I choke out, heart beating out of my chest and ringing in my ears. I feel like I just had an adrenaline shot with nowhere to put all of this pent up energy.

"He's been thinking about you, Car. Wants you back, says he misses you a lot." My mom says into my hair with a grin like this was a good thing. Like it's some laughing matter. Like I haven't been hiding from him for four fucking years.

Like I'm not about to throw up all over her.

"I-I... I don't even..." My mind is blank, racing with nothing but get the fuck out now. My chest is pounding and I don't even think I'm breathing. My mouth opens but oxygen does not help anything. I feel like I'm having a heart attack.

"Just collect yourself, honey. I'll tell him you'll be out in a minute." My mom tucks my hair behind my ears and brightly smiles. My stomach sinks so deep it might just fall out of my ass. "Besides, you'll have plenty of time to hang out tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I can barely think. Her eyebrows lower in a playful offense.

"My birthday party? It's only tradition, honey." She laughs at my assumed joke, but my brain was frying with overstimulation.

I totally forgot about my mom's annual birthday bash. Perfect timing, day after Thanksgiving while everyone is still in town to celebrate. Usually fun, now dreadful.

As if on cue, my phone vibrates in my back pocket.

I hastily grab it and Ashton's name flashes across the screen, a message that I couldn't read through bleary eyes.

"I just have to take this phone call—" I quickly lie, backing away with my phone to sell it. Luckily, she nods. She bought it.

"Don't be long." My mom winks at me, grabbing my dad's arm to pull him into the dining room with her.

My hands shake and I'm able to force out a breath once they're no longer in sight. Barbed wire snakes around my throat, red and hot and strangling me to the point of dizziness. The stinging in my chest only grows with every rapid breath, every choking effort to swallow the realization in the other room.

He's here. And he wants you back.

I don't know what to do. With Ashton's message still open on my screen, I text him just that. I struggle with trembling hands but once it's sent, I feel the nausea building in my stomach.

Fight or flight is kicking in, I don't have any other options. I can't even think. I follow my instincts that are screaming in my head.

Flight.

Get the fuck out of here.

My shoes stomp against the kitchen floor as I dash out of the patio door, nothing but my phone in my pocket and a will to fucking survive. I had to get as far away as my legs would take me, so I sneak my way down the driveway and once I'm on the main road, I sprint like my fucking life depends on it.