chapter 23

Ailee was sitting in the lounge area of Xavier's office building waiting for him to come down.

"Hello! How may I help you?"
She was startled by the sudden appearance of a man.

"Nothing" she whispered and looked at the door in anticipation.

"Ma Sha Allah! your beauty is out of the world. May I have your name?" he said enthusiastically, not even noticing her uneasiness.

"Ailee" she said in a low voice, averting her eyes from him and was about to leave when he spoke again.

"Very suiting. Can I have your number?'' She wanted to go away. It's not that he looks like a creep, he looks pretty decent in fact but he just caught her on a bad day.

"Yeah dial 911" came a voice from behind them.

"Zaii" she threw herself in his arms and he caught her humming in relief.

"Romano? she-she is Coco?"

He glared at Luka.

"About fucking time you realise it."

"Sorry bro I didn't know," he said, raising his hands in surrender.

"I'll deal with you later."

"Zai it is alright really" she said cupping his face and making him look right at her.

Luka and Ailee were supposed to meet today at Xavier's place but he just ruined it all now.

"Now that you've met her, never bother me again" he said and left holding Ailee's hand.

Luka knew he was supposed to follow them because he was invited for the dinner as well. He has known Xavier all his life but the fucker never melts. Even if he says no to him, he ends up fulfilling his wishes anyway most of the time. Best friend things right there.

He shook his head and followed them.

They sat in Xavier's car with Ailee in the passenger seat and Luka in the back.

This time Luka made polite conversations to not make her uncomfortable and Ailee replied in her usual low voice.

They reached his place and got out. They ordered the food because his maid doesn't work here anymore as she shifted to another city and he was in no need of a new one because he is not at home often anyway.

Luka kept cracking jokes, making Ailee laugh every now and then. She was starting to warm up around him.

Xavier was feeling content from the inside. Two most important people in his life were sitting happily with him, laughing, talking and eating. Life isn't so bad, he thought.

They watched a movie together and then Luka left.

Xavier dropped her too after that, feeling like a burden has been lifted from his shoulders.

___

"Are you sure?" Luka asked Xavier for the tenth time that day.

He just nodded.

"You know you're putting your life in danger right?"

"I know but I have to check what he is upto. He's been unusually quiet all these months, it's unsettling."

"We are keeping tabs on him, it is all under our control." Luka held his hand stopping him in his tracks.

"Let go Luka." he said in a chilling voice that he was left with no choice but to free his hand.