chapter 48

Ailee rubbed the sweat on her forehead from the back of her hand and fell backwards.

"Ahhhhhh"

She turned to her side and looked at Doodles and his father holding him in one hand while clearing up the mess made by her and little Doody from the other.

Smiling, she made grabby hands for him, purely to tease his already grumpy mood.

He left her alone in the bed early this morning and has been on endless video conferences since then even though he doesn't speak and just text yes or no to his secretary who is physically present there.
So she snatched the document from his hand and pulled him out in his garden.
She made him babysit Doodle while she planted some flowers and pulled out weeds and he of course grunted and almost carried her inside for taking too long in the mud.

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

She laughed quietly, thinking she succeeded in teasing him.

But he started walking towards her with an indifferent expression and very effortlessly picked her entire being with just one hand.

She squealed and clutched onto him tightly like a koala.

"Zai! I- I was just kidding" she said, all flustered.

"Mhmm but I'm not" he walked with her wrapped around him on one side while Doodle on the other.

"You can put me down, I know you're a big strong man" she tried again.

He didn't respond and kept walking.

" I'll break my leg if I fall, you're like Burj Khalifa" she whined, cupping his face in her palms.

"I won't let you fall"

Reaching inside he gently put them down outside the bathroom.

"Go and shower first" he said and pecked her lips.

"Can you order pizza till then?" She asked with a toothy smile and he nodded.

Immediately after placing the order, he got back to his work and wrapped it up properly because if she saw him again with some papers in his hands she'll whoop his ass.

Not that he would mind that either.

He flipped through the pages of the file while Doodles played around his feet with his toy ball that had treats stuck in its parts.

The doorbell rang, alerting him. He checked his watch and raised an eyebrow.

Nevertheless, he walked down leisurely and checked the camera screen of his door on the living room wall to get surprised.

He went and opened the door and was immediately engulfed in a hug.

"My brotha I missed you," Luka said with a sigh.

"You don't know how much my woman here tortured me but you never replied to my texts and never helped me out"

" I picked up your calls," Xavier replied flatly.

" Yeah because we are only allowed to call you when we are about to die so naturally you'd pick them up" He whined like he always does and earned a smack from Amara who was standing right behind him.

"What woman? You literally made me stay there a whole ass week extra and for what?" He said but when she frowned he pulled her in a side hug.

" It's okay I'll ask you to do the same and we'll be even, okay" he kissed her head.

By the time their attention went back to Xavier he wasn't there. He had far more important things to do than to stand at his doorstep and listen to someone else's lovey dovey shit.