chapter 38

"Fuck" he cursed.

She panicked and hit him on his forearm repeatedly.
"Zai turn around! Turn around!"

He was calm about the whole situation but the stress in her voice made him comply and immediately take action.
The quick cornering of the car caused her to jerk sideways but he held her shoulder with one hand so that she wouldn't hurt herself and stopped the car when they were not in sight anymore.

"Coco we could've got into an accident." he said, sighing and turned to look at her for any injuries.

" I'm sorry but I would not have been able to explain to them so suddenly" she said in a feeble voice. She was aware of how dangerous it was, panicking like that while he was driving, but he handled it so well that it didn't look like a big deal.

"This is one of the many reasons you shouldn't keep it from your family. Take your time but you'll have to think and try for it baby" he said and tucked her hairs behind her ear and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

" I will. I promise" she said and wrapped her arms around his neck.

" Hmm let's go now" he got out and opened the door for her.

" I'll drop you nearby" he said, taking her hand and leading them ahead.

She waddled behind him guiltily. He was trying so hard to prove himself in front of her family, though they don't know about them yet and here she was, being a baby and not gathering enough courage to talk it out with her family.

It does sound stupid to her as well but she can't help what she was feeling. The thought of confrontation and the questions that would follow, made her anxious.

What if they fight and go their separate ways?
What if he stops liking her and finds a new girl, a better girl?
What if she fails to become a perfect partner?
What if he-

"Coco, darling" she flinched when he shook her shoulders gently.

"Hmm? Sorry I was- I was just thinking about something" she murmured and looked around to find that they've reached.

"Not thinking but overthinking. You need to give your little head some rest. It's going to be alright. We're going to be alright" he said, burying her head in his chest.

Her eyes widened hearing him reassure her like that. Can he read her mind? How did he know she was thinking about them?

Nevertheless, she managed to smile genuinely at his sweetness and nodded like a toddler who just got the answer to her curious question.

"Now hurry inside. I have somewhere to be" he ushered her forward after kissing her small fists.

With a small smile she walked up to her house and still found her family lingering outside.

"Lily! Honey, why are you coming alone?" her mother asked and her smile shrank.

"My friend had to go somewhere so he dropped me there" she pointed at the back with her thumb.

" Ah, next time make sure to invite him for lunch or dinner. I would love to meet your friend"

" I will, " she nodded.

" Oh and there's been calls from your school mates since yesterday on my number" she said and gave her phone to a baffled Ailee.

She had many friends in school. Like anyone, junior or senior, could easily pass as her friend but she still kept to herself even after being so popular.

Why are they suddenly calling her now?

"I'll talk to them now but, why are you all here outside?" They all slowly started walking back to the house and Alex and Iris were already inside.