chapter 24

"Xavier?"

Ailee closed the door behind her and removed her coat.

She went in, searching for her boyfriend who has been ghosting her for the past one week.

He was not there in the kitchen, not in the living room, not at the poolside, so she quietly moved to his bedroom.

He wasn't there either.

She was about to have a panic attack. Opening the door to his office slowly she breathed in relief.

There he was on the balcony talking on the phone.

She ran to him and wrapped her arms around his torso from behind. He was startled from the sudden intrusion and was about to inflict some serious harm on the culprit but then she spoke.

"I was so worried." her voice came out shaky.

He quickly turned around and cupped her face, his heart clenched looking at her teary eyes.

While she gasped, catching the sight of his badly bruised face. Her tears now streaming down on their own accord.

"Coco, why are you crying?" he asked, wiping her running tears with the pad of his thumbs.

" I-I thou-ght- I thought" she said between her hiccups, unable to continue her sentence.

"Shhh baby calm down. I am here alright?" he embraced her gently.

After 10 more minutes of crying, consoling and back rubs she finally calmed down, just sniffling occasionally.

He took her inside, made her sit on the couch and gave her a glass of water which she drank slowly.

"Now tell me what happened. Did somebody say something to you?"

"N-No. You were gone" she said looking up at him. Tears threatening to fall again from her big shining eyes. He was here, not perfectly alright but he was. Why didn't he call her or reply to her texts then?

He understood what it was about and guilt struck him harder than he thought it would when he confronted her. Someone crying for him is a foreign concept to him.

How will he tell her that he was out of the city planting bullets in people's heads?

After whatever went down with Igor he visited the places where he knew he would get some answers from and didn't get time to inform her anything. Heck he didn't even sleep for two whole fucking days.

But he realized his mistake. She should've been informed. She holds a part of his heart and he deeply cares for her and vice versa, it was her right to know. He will make sure it is not repeated ever again.

"I am sorry Coco. I really am. I know there's no excuse for what I've done but just know that I am not used to telling people about my whereabouts. I've never really had anyone who would wait for my return, well except for Luka ofcourse but he's always with me so it doesn't make any difference. But I-"

He stopped himself from speaking further, not sure of his own words that are about to come out of his mouth.

"I promise it won't happen again. You'll never have to worry about me like this. I will not leave you in the dark, ever."

She was shocked. He isn't someone who believes in promises yet here he is going against his order to assure her as best as he could.

"So......... Forgive me?" he asked, holding her hands.

"You won't do it again?" she asked in a feeble voice.

"Mhmm never" he replied, shaking his head.

"And you'll answer my questions?" she asked, biting her bottom lip.