5

CHAPTER 5 — HOSTAGE

No! My body—!! I can't move...!

AS THE NEXT HEIR OF THE HAEBARU CLAN, PLEASE, MOVE! PLEASE!

──── ────

You, Geto and Gojo ran inside an empty and abandoned alley, placing Riko in an unlocked cell.

"I'm sorry," Geto apologized once you all stopped, "This was my mistake."

"Really?" Gojo hummed, placing his hands in his pockets, "I don't think this even counts as a mistake."

Geto balled his fist, "..I underestimated how much our enemies would value Kuroi-san."

"Their next move will probably be offering to arrange an exchange for her," you thought out loud, "Something like trading Riko for Kuroi, or saying they'll kill Kuroi if we don't kill Riko."

"But we have the leverage in any negotiations since we have Amanai," Gojo said, "As long as they set up the location for the deal, we can make it work out. I'm taking Amanai back to Jujutsu High now. We can have Shoko or Y/N stand in as her body double—"

"Shoko will have to do it," you interrupted, "I'm still in the mission, you know."

"H-hold on! I'm going to this deal, too!" Riko shouted, "I still can't trust you guys yet!"

Gojo frowned, "Huh?! You're still saying that after all this, you brat—"

"Even if you manage to save her," Riko interrupted him, "what if Kuroi isn't back before I assimilate with Tengen-sama? I haven't... I haven't even said goodbye to her!"

A deadly silence followed, but you broke it with a sigh.

"..If they seem smarter than what we'd expect," You said, "And bringing you with us is likely to hurt Kuroi's chance of survival.."

"Then we'll leave you behind."

Riko was silent for a few seconds, before putting on a determined expression and wiping her tears, "..All right. That works."

"In exchange," Gojo stared her down, "if you get scared partway through and want to go home, we'll just ignore you. Bear that in mind."

────˚··˚────

You broke down the door to a white room after arriving to Okinawa. Kuroi laid there, tied up and on the ground. As you and Gojo beat up all the guards who were in the room, Riko went to untie and remove the cloth around Kuroi's mouth.

"Kuroi!" Riko yelled, hugging her after untying her.

Geto entered later, looking relieved when he saw that Kuroi wasn't injured.

"Sorry," you said out loud to the unconscious and bloody guards as you all left the room, supporting Kuroi so she can walk well.

────˚··˚────

You sat down next to Kuroi and Geto on shore as Gojo and Riko played together in the water.