24

CHAPTER 24UNEXPECTED ENCOUNTER

Stop the car.

I ASSUME... YOU ARE TRYING TO HUNT DOWN SATORU?

──── ────

You and Gojo were leaned against the wall, supervising Yuji as a suspenseful movie scene went by. Yuji was carefully and silently watching as a man and a woman were both discussing with each other on which wire color to cut.

"Do I cut the red wire or the blue wire?" The man asked, followed by the ticking of a dynamite strapped up against a wall.

"You know, where I used to live, the trash bags—"

"Hey, what are you going on about?" The man interrupted, confused on the sudden change of topic.

"There were red for plastics and blue of combustibles. I always thought, shouldn't it be the opposite?" The woman spoke, "Right— It should be red! Anyone would go with red!"

The man smiled softly and sighed, "I'll trust you."

His breathing was shaky as he went on to cut the red wire, engulfing the whole room in suspense, waiting for the next action that would occur. You yourself were intrigued, watching his every move. But just as he was about to snip the wire, Yuji, sipping his cola, got punched straight in the face unexpectedly, which sent him flying towards the ground.

He coughed and tried to regain his composure, "Not while I'm drinking cola!"

Gojo let out a hum. "Don't drink it, then."

"Watching movies is all about chips and cola!" Yuji argued.

"I know, right?" Gojo agreed with a smile, then got off the wall, gently pulling you off as well, "Alright, me and Y/N have some business to deal with. Just keep hanging in there."

"Will this really make me stronger?" Yuji asked with a hint of reluctance at this so-called 'training'.

You let out a small chuckle. "Why would we be having you do this if it didn't make you stronger?"

"That's true.."

Gojo turned back, taking a few steps away but then abruptly stopping just to turn back towards Yuji, "Oh, right. Did you talk to Sukuna while you were dead?"

"Talk?" Yuji echoed.

"Did he propose any conditions or contracts for fixing your heart?" You asked, reformulating Gojo's sentence for him.

"Oh," Yuji hummed, "I think we did talk about something.. But I can't remember what it was. All I can faintly remember is some blue light shining. But that's all, really."

Your eyes widened, surprised by the news. "..I see."

────˚··˚────

Yuji promised that he would be fine by his own, so you and Gojo both put your trust in him. Entering the car, Ijichi politely greeted the two of you with a bow as he put his hands on the steering wheel. Once you were all seated comfortably, he took off driving.

While he was driving, you sensed some sort of evil aura, though your attention quickly diverted when Ijichi started talking.

"There is still some time before your appointment with the principal. Do you want to stop by somewhere?" Ijichi asked.

"Nah, we'll show up early for a change," Gojo replied, then looked towards the window, body tensing by the slightest.

There it was. That evil aura again. At first, you wanted to brush it off as some sort of stress regarding your appointment with the principal, but now, you were sure it wasn't just you second-guessing yourself. Your gaze hardened as you looked at Gojo, who also looked at you as if you were both thinking the same thing. Finally, you decided to turn towards Ijichi.

"Stop the car," you demanded.

"Huh? Right here?" Ijichi asked, confused and slightly panicked.

"Yes." You were one hundred percent sure, and it was clear in your tone.

Reluctantly, Ijichi stationed the car and stopped it, leaving you and Gojo in the middle of the road. You opened the car door and got out, followed by Gojo who nonchalantly popped out of the car.

"Go on ahead," Gojo ordered.

Ijichi let out a squeak that had a mixture of shock and confusion in it. "A-Are you testing me? You won't hit me if I actually went on ahead. would you?"

"Seriously, just who do you think I am?" Gojo mumbled.

"I-In that case.." Ijichi fearfully nodded and drove ahead, not even daring to look back.

You gave him a wave as he drove away, smiling as if you knew he was looking at you through his side-view mirror.

You turned around, letting out a sigh and stretching your limbs. "Well then.."

You looked above, encouraging Gojo to do the same.

To your expectations, a curse could be heard letting out an amused scream from right above Gojo. It landed on the ground, causing it to crumble due to the impact. Luckily, Gojo dodged it without a single scratch on him.

He took a good look at the curse, and held a straight face. "Who might you be?"

The curse didn't respond— instead, it aimed its hand towards the wall behind Gojo, causing a brown bump to form. Lava then launched from inside it, having a range big enough to hit a part of the forest before you.

Gojo simply stood there, watching as the lava hit him. He gave you a smile, to which you returned, before he was engulfed in the flames.

As the flames diminished, leaving only smoke, you heard a laugh erupt from the curse's lips. "That was easier than I expected."

You hummed, "A bold statement, I must say. Don't you think this 'fight' was a bit too short for the strongest Jujustu sorcerer?"

The smoke dissipated, leaving only a bubble of magma that would soon dissipate as well. Gojo was then revealed, not a single trace of dirt on him.

"Easy?" He echoed, "Who do you take me for?"

The curse scowled, adjusting some sort of cork that was keeping his ear closed, "Annoying punk."

"Special Grades are supposed to be just that," you mumbled, "Special. Can't really have them popping around like this."

He grinned and put on a stance. "Did I hurt you and your boyfriend's pride, little miss?"

You smiled at him, though it was clear you were angry, as there was a vein that popped through your forehead.

"I assume... you are trying to hunt down Satoru? How amusing."