Twenty-Three

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Fates of two

"Fates of two. Entwined."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

      RHYS HAD GIVEN NESTA AND ELAIN a suite of connecting rooms overlooking the city and river and mountains beyond

      RHYS HAD GIVEN NESTA AND ELAIN a suite of connecting rooms overlooking the city and river and mountains beyond. He'd placed the two just a hallway beyond my youngest sister's rooms, whom I had been informed was with my sisters now.

And so Rhys had tracked down Nesta in the library. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit irked at the prospect of seeing my viper of a sister again. It wasn't as though we had ended on good terms before that day Hybern, and I was near positive things had not just fixed themselves on a whim.

There was a coiled, razor-sharp tension blooming within Cassian as the three of us strode down the stairways of the House. A tension that grew more taut every step toward the double doors of the library. I hadn't asked if they'd seen each other, or even spoken, since that day in Hybern.

It didn't seem like it was my place, nor my business. Though I was itching to know.

And I might have asked Rhys down the bond had he not opened one of the doors. Or had I not immediately spied Nesta curled in an armchair, a book resting on her knees. And for once looking...un-angry—un-Nesta like, actually. Casual. Relaxed.

The moment I allowed my shoes to scuff on the stone floor, she shot straight up, back going stiff, and book slamming shut. Yet her Gray-Blue eyes didn't so much as widen as they beheld me.

I took her in slowly.

Nesta had been beautiful as a woman.

As High Fae she was devastating.

From the utter stillness of which Cassian stood beside me, I wondered if he was thinking the same.

Nesta stood in a muted blue gown, her hair plaited into a crown, and with the way she held herself it very well could have been. She sized up and spoke, her voice like a fallen angels, "You're back."