Thirty-Three

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Thank you for loving me when I still tasted of heartache and war

"Thank you for loving me when I still tasted of heartache and war."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I HAD NOT VISITED this place for months

I HAD NOT VISITED this place for months. But the carved stone walls were just as I'd last seen them, the darkness still interrupted by bracketed torches.

Not the Prison. Under the Mountain.

Pain lashed up my back, my hands tied and bound by chains. I clenched my jaw, breath hissing through my teeth as I stopped myself from screaming in agony. The whip lashed again, skin splitting in two and razor-sharp pain vined through my veins like the growing roots of a tree.

My eyes were firmly placed on the dark black eyes of the white-haired male in front of me. He was grinning. And time was falling as that crows laugh echoed behind me.

But unlike the last time I had visited this place, the two were not alone. A new man sat atop a throne of human bone, grinning like an animal as he watched me attempt to leash the pain that was slipping from my grasp.

The King.

And a Cauldron sat next to him.

"Embrace this brand of agony while it lasts," the King commanded. "The Cauldron will be much worse."

At the next lash of the whip, I did scream. My ravaged back shrieking like it was on fire.

A tsk sounded, and Stijin's dark, violent voice echoed a second later. "What a displeasing sound." he chastised, plucking a grape from the large, feast-filled table beside him. "That wasn't very pretty, Little Warrior."

"Not pretty at all." Amrantha's voice echoed.

A crash sounded through the dark, stone room, and my head whipped to the Cauldron that had just toppled over, the midnight waters spilling onto the floor. As if like a mirage, Nesta and Elain had appeared before it, their clothes sopping wet and tears marring their cheeks even as they lay unconscious on the cold stone floor.