Thirty-Six

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"She is both, hellfire and holy water

"She is both, hellfire and holy water. And the flavor you taste depends on how you treat her."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE SOFT BREEZE ran through our bedroom, soothing my growing worries about a great many things happening all at once

THE SOFT BREEZE ran through our bedroom, soothing my growing worries about a great many things happening all at once. The window was left open, and even the soft chirp of birds migrated through the townhouse merrily.

It helped—calmed me as my eyes drifted from the mirror in front of me, fluttering toward the view beyond. Velaris was beautiful this time of year, and the ocean I could just barely see beyond was a crisp, glassy blue. At this angle, I could scarcely see the cracks and rips left by Hyberns attack.

It was not as though I was worried about the Court of Nightmares, no actually I quite enjoyed the Hewn City—would probably adore that detailed architecture and dark stone quite a bit if it weren't for the people who dwelled there.

No, I was worried about this meeting. About what the alternative might have to be if Keir decided against lending his Darkbringers. And whether I'd have to get my hands a little bloody to get him to agree. I was not opposed.

But still...the worry was present.

The soft feeling of lips on my exposed shoulder broke me away from the transe I had seemed to slip into, and I turned to look at the mirror in front of me. Rhys was already looking at me in the reflective glass as he pressed another kiss higher, this time on my neck.

I smirked at him as he grinned, leaning down slightly to rest his chin on my shoulder and wrap his arms around my waist from behind. "I can practically hear your thoughts from across the room." he murmured.

I snorted. "And here I thought my mental shields were pristine."

Rhys shook his head with a feline smirk, "They are. It's infuriating." he said. "But it's all written on your face, so long as you know where to look."