Twenty-Six

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Her mind is a diamond

"Her mind is a diamond. Cold and hard and brilliant."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

RHYS HAD MY HAND clasped in his own and held to his chest where we sat on the rooftop of the town house

RHYS HAD MY HAND clasped in his own and held to his chest where we sat on the rooftop of the town house. It was early. So early we watched as the sun began to ascend in the horizon and the sky transformed into an array of pastels. Gilded light filtered through the city, the morning sun reflecting across the Sidra and the ocean beyond.

    I sat on Rhys's lap, my mate's arms banded around me as I leaned my head on his shoulders. It was surreal, these peaceful minutes as I looked over Velaris, watching as the city began to wake; as the birds began chirping and the sea breeze ran its silken fingers over my skin. I could feel the rise and fall of Rhys's chest beneath me, the way he'd sometimes brush a strand of hair out of my face when the soft wind ripped it from my long braid.

    Heaven. I was pretty sure this was what heaven was.

    A content sigh left my lips and for a moment I closed my eyes, "Can we please stay here forever?" I asked in a murmur, head still resting on his shoulder.

    "I wouldn't be opposed." Rhys muttered back, his voice still raspy from sleep. For a moment we were silent again, the only sound being his breath echoing in my ears. Yet I could tell it would not last as long as it had last time. Words were stirring in Rhys, and I had a feeling I knew what they were.

    At last, my mate gently let go of the hand he had clasped to his chest, softly placing his fingers on my chin as he tilted my head up to look at him. Violet eyes met my own, brutal honesty shining within them. "Talk to me," He spoke. "...about what happened in Hybern." even the words sounded foreign coming from his mouth.

    I was silent for a moment. "I don't know where to begin." I finally breathed, the air around me growing a bit more taut.

    He held me a bit tighter, as if he could see what lurked in my thoughts at the prospect of voicing it aloud. "You don't...have to." he practically whispered, though I knew he was curious.