Thirty-Seven

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"The moon-drunk, haunted, pierced soul

"The moon-drunk, haunted, pierced soul."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE FIRST THING I noticed as we stalked into the council chamber, with the icy bite to the air

THE FIRST THING I noticed as we stalked into the council chamber, with the icy bite to the air. The way skin erupted in goosebumps and the hair's on the back of my neck stood on end. It was strange, the air in this place. And I wondered if the long passed memories of quarrels and disputes lingered in the breath I took into my lungs.

The chamber was nearly as large as the throne room itself, carved and hewed from the same dark rock, pillars fashioned after those entangled beasts. The high domed ceiling was set with carved stars, and just below it sat a large table fashioned of black glass, its edges long and jagged. Sharp as a knife.

Rhys claimed a seat at the head of the table, I took the opposite end. Astrid and Eira gathered to my right and left, with Azriel and Mor taking seats on one side toward the middle. Keir was left facing them.

A single chair beside Rhys sat empty.

Rhys leaned back in his dark chair, swirling the wine that had just been poured in each of our glasses by a stone faced servant. I forced myself not to than the male.

Here, I did not thank anyone. Here, I took what was mine, and offered no gratitude or apologies for it.

"I know why you're here." Keir spoke, not giving any leeway for formalities.

Rhys arched a brow, "Oh?" I sipped gingerly from my wine, a sick smirk twisting at my lips.

Distaste engulfed the blonde male's face, bordering on a sneer. "Hybern is swarming. Your legions" —a sneer toward Azriel that had me balling my hands into fists— "are gathering." Keir placed his interlaced fingers atop the glass table. "You mean to ask for my dark bringers to join your army."

Rhys sipped from his wine. "Well, at least you've spared me the effort of dancing around the subject."

Keir held his gaze without blinking. "I will confess that I find myself...sympathetic to Hybern's cause."