Forty-Five

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"You gave me peace in a lifetime of war

"You gave me peace in a lifetime of war."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    IT WAS A FITFUL SLEEP for all of us

    IT WAS A FITFUL SLEEP for all of us. And I needn't use my daemati abilities to know that.

    Amren found no other Hybern assassins or spies during her long night of hunting through Velaris. How she sought them, how she distinguished friend from foe...Some people, Mor told me the next morning painted their thresholds in lamb's blood. A sort of offering to her. And payment to stay away. Some left cups of it on their doorsteps.

    A bedtime story to scare children indeed.

    Rhys had spent much of the previous day and night reassuring the priestesses of their safety, walking them through the new wards. The priestess who had let them in...for whatever reason, Hybern had left her alive. She allowed Rhys into her mind to see what had happened: once the king had sundered the wards with that fleeting spell, his Ravens had appeared as two old scholars to get the priestess to open the door, then forced their way into her mind so that she'd welcome them in without being vetted. The violation of that alone...Rhys had spent hours with those priestesses yesterday. Mor, too.

    Talking, listening to the ones who could speak, holding the hands of the ones who couldn't.

    And when they at last left...There was a peace between my mate and his cousin. Some lingering jagged edge that had somehow been soothed.

    We didn't have long. I knew that. Felt it with every breath. Hybern wasn't coming; Hybern was here.

    Our meeting with the High Lords was now over a week away—and though I knew we would sort out what we needed to as best we could, a feeling lingered inside my chest. It felt as though we were unprepared. That no matter how much we knew, and planned, we were still three steps behind.