Thirty-One

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Whatever arrives from the shadows you must greet as a blessing

"Whatever arrives from the shadows you must greet as a blessing."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE SWEET SOUND of metal clashing against metal filled my ears, echoing through the small clearing hidden in the outskirts of Velaris

THE SWEET SOUND of metal clashing against metal filled my ears, echoing through the small clearing hidden in the outskirts of Velaris. I grinned as Rhys's sword collided with mine. My dreams of getting to kick his ass in swordplay finally coming true after months and months.

The soft spring sun beamed down from above, the watery light of early day filtering through the swaying branches of the trees. Wind blew softly through the space, gently gliding through my hair and pulling it up toward the North.

I aimed low, Rhys's weapon blocking mine. He aimed high, my weapon blocking his. Quicker than lightning I hoisted my sword, catching it with my left hand and swinging it into a tighter grip before I aimed for his pretty neck.

He leaned back, dodging with that effortless grace of his.

Using my momentum, I spun, aiming for his torso before he even processed the movement. But he was fast. Faster than I had gauged. Rhys angled his sword over himself, my weapon clanging with his so nicely I couldn't help the way my lips upturned.

I wondered if he had been studying my training sessions with Cassian. Not even the General had been this prepared for my attacks the first time we'd sparred.

Again, I whirled, aiming for his other side and hoping he wouldn't have time to properly guard it. And again the blade of my sword found his own.

With a furrow of my brows and blatant surprise, my sword arced once more, this time aiming toward that same side. He parried, an easy rhythm to his movements even as his face gave away his focus.

We stood in a stalemate, my sword balanced against his as I stared into his violet eyes with an eager grin. I stepped forward, both our swords still raised as I steadily rid of the space between us. My grin faded into a saccharine smirk as my gaze flicked to his mouth, and back to his eyes. A taunt. He stared back, his own eyes flicking down to my mouth.