TWENTY-TWO

Bella looked at me strangely

Bella looked at me strangely.  Her brown eyes looked at me with a look that I couldn't describe.  Is there something wrong with my behavior at the Cullen house?  I snore while sleeping?  Delirious about getting killed by the Volturi?  I don't know what.

"Is something wrong Bella?"  She shook her head.  Obviously bullshit.  "You stared at me for almost half an hour straight. Why? Is there something wrong with me?"

"No, it's not you. It's Carlisle!"  Bella spoke and her voice rose.

"They're hiding something about you. I'm a bit worried but as long as it's not about something that hastens our deaths, it's fine, right?"  Bella asked while biting her nails.

I of course looked at her surprised.  "Since when did you think that far? You dated a vampire and after visiting his family you just thought about death? Bella, he loves you, he wouldn't show you off to his family and then kill you."  With a tired sigh I grabbed both of her shoulders.

"Now Bella explain what's strange about Carlisle?"

Bella started her argument.  I looked at her with a fair amount of skepticism.  "The first time we met, he seemed to be looking forward to it!"

"Waiting for us to almost die?"

"No-no sissy. It's about timing, like you know he's looking forward to meeting you."  My eyebrows rose.  "Why is that?"  I asked formally.

"His eyes change color, I once asked Edward and he said it depends on a person's feelings."

"It could be because of you. Edward told him about you."  I said.

"It doesn't stop there, it's ridiculous that he came to the house just to apologize for canceling the visit."  Bella spoke in an emphasized tone.  "He could have canceled it over the phone and apologized like Alice did. Why bother visiting the house?"  It was a reasonable point but Carlisle lived—

"He has used a lot of technology in the world of medicine if looking at his past that is not a strong enough reason."  Bella sighed.  Then this time she was the one holding my shoulder.

"They're hiding something Nesryn. I trust them as much as I trust Edward. But the puzzle about Carlisle and you is still swirling around in my head."  Bella looked at me with a look I'd never seen before.

"He looks at you always, every time, whenever you're not looking as if you're what he's been waiting for all this time."

.

.

.

I laughed out loud.  "You're having delusions Bella that's impossible."  My hand held her forehead.  She's healthy.

"Nesryn Elizabeth Swan, Don't wait until I say 'I already told you'."  Bella said firmly before storming out of my room and leaving me with a pile of homework.