TWENTY-SEVEN

I stopped in the middle of the journey

I stopped in the middle of the journey.  Making Carlisle stop and pay attention to me.  That accident was the beginning of my life changing.  I thought the accident was a dream then I flew into an argument with my mother.  Then the world changed I woke up in a hospital bed because of my spontaneous request.

"It's been five years, huh."  I muttered.  While walking back looking anywhere but Carlisle.

"I don't know if that topic makes-"

"-It's okay Carlisle I'm fine. Just a lot of sentiment from the accident."  Too much for me to bear.

His cold hands gripped mine tightly.  I could for the first time ignore the electricity and let my hands rest on hers as my mind drifted back to the days when I wasn't Nesryn Swan.  A law student who knows what semester I was in before I came to this dimension.  How are my parents?  Did they forget me or did my universe stop?  I don't know.

"What do you think of the Volturi Carlisle?"  I asked to fill the silence I created because of nostalgia for my past.  Our hands are still linked.  He held my hand carefully as we headed back uphill enough that I might fall.

"Are they a ruler or a friend?"  Carlisle asked as he led me.  I watched my step, I have a lot to thank Alice for these very comfortable shoes.

"Up to you."

"Aro is the closest to me of the three. Besides the fact that he's a tactile mind reader who has seen my entire life, he's also the most curious about my food choices."  Carlisle spoke, his voice faint.  We walked hand in hand in a very quiet forest atmosphere, their animal instincts seemed quite good.  Now this stupid heartbeat was all Carlisle heard.

"We talked a lot, Aro saw how the possibilities of a developing human civilization were far beyond what existed in his time. Aro was older than paper so it made sense for him to be interested in everything. Marcus was an exception."  he recalled.

"Marcus is the furthest of the two although Caius kind of hates me, a lot actually. He doesn't like the new differences, he sees my diet as a weakness."  I cringed when the Fanfiction flashed about Cullen's vegetarianism being a bad thing.

"Being yourself will be fine. Your human life is definitely related to your current life choices, right? There's nothing wrong with that."  Being yourself will be fine.  Funny, the old me would never have considered that sentence.

"I think we've walked enough Nesryn."  I raised my eyebrows.  "I'm not even tired yet."  I said.

"I promised your dad you'd be back before 5pm so I thought maybe you'd want to rest for a bit after being up on the High Divide."

"Umm okay. How should I?"  I asked untangling our fingers.  "That's your choice, Ryn," he said.  I don't know if I should be like Bella but I'm afraid I'll accidentally let go of my hand and kill myself.