~ Twenty-One ~

October 30th, 7PM
Nika P.O.V

I wait for Uconn's bus to pull up from picking the team up from the airport. My hand tapping against the steering wheel, Paige and Maia were back at the girls apartment, supposedly making cookies and ice cream for Alyssa's mini celebration for the win but who really knows with that couple.

When I see the large blue, gray and white bus pull up, I step put of my car, starting to walk slowly towards it. The vehicle coming to a stop in front of the volleyball facility, the team and coaches starting to unload.

A few of the girls who know me from hanging around Alyssa and our other friends stop and talk to me for a bit, while the others just say hi or acknowledge me with nods that I return.

Eventually I see her, Alyssa slowly walking out with Ryan holding both of their sports bags, the girls arm in a sling and a grimace on her face from the change of light from the dark bus to moonlight.

I almost forgot concussions make your eyes sensitive as fuck. Jogging back to my car quickly, I grab a pair of sunglasses before coming back over to the two.

"Hey Nika." Ryan greets, causing Alyssa to look up before softly smile, face instantly changing after though.

"Hi N.." Alyssa starts, using her non-slinged armed to rub at her head. "This fucking migrane will not go away..."

"You have a concussion, Lyz... It's going to be there for a while." I comment, handing her the sunglasses that she thanks me for, putting them on. "Did they give you anything for it?" I take the bag from Ryan with a nod of thanks.

"Yeah.. there's some painkillers in my bag, I have to eat with them though cause they're apparently strong as shit, so I haven't had mine for the day yet because I haven't really ate." I nod at the explanation, Ryan waving to us as the blonde left, wanting to get back home and in a shower from thr long flight and drive.

"How are you feeling?" I ask finally as we get in my car, the girl taking the sunglasses back off and leaning her head against the headrest, closing her eyes.

"Like shit with a championship under her belt." She jokes with a small laugh, "Seriously though, I don't feel good. My arm isn't much in pain as it's an inconvenience.. it wasn't a big fracture but definitely enough that I need the sling to restrict movement. But my head man... none stop migranes and the naseous I get from it is so bad. I hate it."

"How long are you out for?" I ask, making Alyssa'a face shift slightly. "3 to 4 weeks... at least, so, if we make it that far I'd be able to join back in during states.."

I nod with a small hum, making sure to keep the music low for her head. I speak up, "Paige and Maia are back at your guys apartment making cookies, they got you ice cream too."

Alyssa smiles at that, her eyes still closed as she rests one of her arms on the center console. "Thank you for getting me tonight."

"Of course."

"And I'm really am sorry ab-"

I wave my hand before returning it to the wheel, "It's okay, I understand the reaction. I may have done the same thing. We can talk about it tomorrow but for right now, I want you to get some food in your body, your medicine and this dessert so you can feel a bit better, deal?"

Alyssa cracks an eye open slightly, glancing over at me with a grin. "Deal."

________

"What's up killer?" Paige spoke as we walked in, moving to hug Alyssa carefully as to not trap her slingged arm between them.

Alyssa returned the hug with a laugh as I moved to drip her backpack on the living room floor.