66]Raye knows

" Who is it?" I asked , heart rate rising.
L clenched his jaw.
" That person called X"
.
.
.
I maintained my composure. Was L actually suspicious of me? Was this a test to see how I react? Nevertheless I tries to fix the situation.
" Ah X" I muttered, trying to appear deep in thought.
"That woman... she's a mastermind"
L shifted in his place.
I narrowed my eyes at him slowly.

" How would you know if its a woman?"
L made himself comfortable on my couch and looked at me in the eyes.
"Gut feeling"
I raised a brow at the man.
"Not a very reliable source, is it."
L had a faint smile on his face. The type you could only see if you squinted your eyes. He opened his mouth to say something but shut it quickly .

"Same source, that tells you Light is Kira" I continued and this time L spoke.
"Which is true, Y/n"
L was always monotonous but I suddenly sensed a change in his tone.
He became serious. Far too serious, to my genuine concern.
"You...."
"You believe me , right? He asked , staring into my orbs as he came closer.
I gulped .

"Look, Ryuzaki.."
"Light's been my closest friend since years... it's hard to believe that he'd be a criminal" I muttered trying to sound convincing.
We were so close, I could feel his breath against my neck. The way he was looking at me right now... his gaze.. it was so ... I couldn't find the words for it but it did something to me.
"Is he that close to you?" L asked softly.
I didn't know how to respond to him so I simply nodded.
"We're releasing him soon" he spoke.
I blinked a few times and looked at L.
"That's great"
L sighed .

"You don't believe he's innocent" I said, giving him a nudge. His hands rose to grab mine but quickly retracted them.
"I don't " he muttered looking down now.
He looked up suddenly again
"What would you do if you find out he's Kira?" He asked .
"I don't know" I doged the question.
L just remained in the same spot, as if he was searching for a lie in my eyes.
But I was never easily exposed, so he kept searching, till his face dropped. Watari's voice called out his name.
"You should go" I uttered.

He didn't reply to that and reluctantly turned around to leave.
Before he left he turned around one last time.
" are you free tomorrow?" He asked looking down.
" I'm not sure" I replied confused.
"Be free tomorrow " he said one last time before leaving.

It had now been almost a month since Light was under solitary confinement. Everyone in the Task force had unanimously decided that Light was innocent and should be released soon.
L wasn't quite happy about it , and he made that very clear to me. But ofcoarse, he didn't cause any chaos and just let it be.

There was a knock at my front door.
I slowly got up but the the sound turned from knocks to bangs. They sounded desperate. Thinking it was L again, I rushed to the door and opened it. A man in a hoodie and cap rushed in and shut the door behind him. I was taken aback and slowly stepped backward, trying to grab something for defense. The man pulled off his hood and began gasping for air.

"RAYE?" I called out confused and ran to him.
"How did -" he spoke between huffs
"How did you do that?!" He yelled.
"First of all WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" I whisper yelled.
He started raising his voice.
"Tell me how you did it , X! What the hell is going on with us?! This wasn't part of the plan you told me!" He yelled.
I tried to shush him while running and closing all my curtains.

Once I was done I turned to face him with wide eyes.
"Why are you back in Japan?! You know how risky it is! Everyone thinks you are DEAD, RAYE!"
Raye ran his hands through his hair in frustration.
"My life is in danger! I couldn't-"
I raised a brow at him.
"What danger?"
He became agitated and gave me a glare.
"THAT MAN- HE KILLED ME. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY WHAT DANGER?!"
I looked at him confused. "Which man!?"
Raye looked at me horrified.

"Did Naomi not tell you anything?!"
I pondered for a moment.
"Well she did mention you saying that a weird man was following you around , and then you just died"
Raye looked distressed. He gripped his hair and looked around frantically.
"It was... it was a hooded figure with such dark ambience, I can't even describe it!
I was so intimidated by him that I felt like I saw a red a aura around him.."
My eyes widened at his statement.

That day.. at the bus stop when I was waiting for Kaito to deliver me the death note, there was a strange man that had spoken to me. I remembered the red glow that surrounded him when he sat in the bus.
"That red aura... you didn't imagine that"
I muttered as I pulled out my journal and began writing in it.
"What do you mean? How else would I see a red-"
"No , Raye. I've seen him too. If my deductions are correct ..."
I took a slight pause and bit my lip.
"Then this man must be the Reaper"
Raye stayed silent for a few seconds.
"What?" He muttered in disbelief.
"Are you fucking with me right now?"
I sighed.
"Raye, do you think I'm in the mood for jokes?"
"I can't handle this !" He groaned.
"First, a notebook that can kill. A god of death exists! Now you're saying the Reaper tried to kill me ? And you brought me back from the dead! How is this possible?!!"
I sighed.
"Calm down."
"No!" He yelled.
"I won't calm down, X. Until you tell me how and why you know all of this"

I raised a brow at Raye.
"I figured it out" I muttered.
"Seriously?you want me to believe that? How the hell would you ever find out about Light's death note and his plan? How did a young adult like you, manage to send a whole team of professionals undercover?"
I looked at him with a blank face.
"There's obviously something your hiding, X."
I smiled at Raye.
"And what about it? "
" I want to know. I've trusted you since the beginning, without any questions. But now I feel like I can't survive on this half Information anymore. I was killed!"
"Well that's because of the Reaper ! He was never supposed to exist!"
"And how do you know what is supposed to exist and what's not?! How much do you know? And how!"
I pinched the bridge of my nose.

Would it be wise to tell Raye about my whole story? I thought for some time and then decided to speak the truth.
But he I just had to change one thing, that being that this whole world was just an anime I had watched.

"Fine , Raye I'll tell you. But remember, if you chose to betray me, I always have the power to kill you. I suggest you be wise with your actions"
Penber nodded hesitantly and gulped.
"I've actually come here from the future"
.
.
.
I told him everything. About how Light killed L and what happened to the world. He only gaped in response. Might have been overwhelming for a man like him.
"How did you come back?" He asked, curiosity dripping from his voice.
"I was tired of life, in the future. I asked God for another chance at my miserable life and somehow landed up as Light's next door neighbor " I muttered in a single breath. Raye penber processed everything carefully and then sighed.

"Was ... I alive?"
"Sorry?"
"In the future , I mean. Did i survive"
"You were one of his first victims" I simply responded.
"Thank you..." he mumbled under his breath.
"What do you suggest I do now?" Raye questioned.
" go back to the hideout. I can't risk you being in Japan. Even though Light is in solitary confinement right now, I want everyone to think you're dead. Plus Naomi is alone there"
Raye thought for a moment and nodded along with me.

"Light's confined?"
"Yeah, but not for long. He's being released tomorrow"
Raye kept silent and then suddenly spoke.
"Can I suggest something, X?"
I narrowed my eyes anxiously.
"Sure,go ahead"
"Ask Light out tomorrow "
.
.
.