when he misses her (part 9) | KTH

The weight of his confession hung heavy in the air, a bittersweet symphony of love and regret. You looked at Taehyung, his eyes brimming with a vulnerability you'd never witnessed before. A part of you longed to believe him, to reach out and offer solace. But the wounds he'd inflicted still throbbed, a constant reminder of the pain he'd caused.

"Sit beside me, Taehyung," you said softly, your voice barely a whisper. You couldn't bear to see him kneeling any longer, the image mirroring the way your trust had been shattered.

His heart fluttered at your unexpected care, a flicker of hope igniting in his eyes. He rose slowly, his movements careful as if afraid to spook you. He settled beside you on the couch, closer than before, his hand seeking yours.

You let him take your hand, the warmth of his touch sending a tremor through you. It was a small gesture, yet it felt monumental in the charged atmosphere.

Taehyung took a shaky breath, his voice thick with a mix of guilt and desperation. "Yes," he agreed, his fingers intertwining with yours. "Please, let me explain everything. There's a misunderstanding, Y/n. I would never intentionally hurt you like this."

He launched into a detailed explanation, his voice filled with a raw honesty that stripped away his usual facade. He spoke of the anniversary of Hani's passing, a day that always overwhelmed him with a tide of grief and memories. He admitted how he had gone to their balcony, a place they used to share sweet moments, seeking solace in the familiar surroundings. He held Hani's picture close, pouring out his heart to her, filled with regret at her absence.

"But Y/n," he pleaded, his eyes glistening with tears that mirrored your own, "the 'I love you' you heard... it wasn't for her. It was for you."

A sob escaped his lips, a raw sound of anguish that echoed through the room. "I'm so sorry, Y/n. I didn't even realize it was your birthday. I was so lost in my grief, I completely forgot that you asked me to come home early. I should've been there with you, celebrating with you. I failed you, Y/n. I failed you as a husband."

Tears streamed down his face, each one a testament to his remorse. "I was talking to Hani," he confessed, his voice cracking with emotion, "telling her what a terrible husband I'd been, how I didn't deserve you. I told her how much I love you, Y/n, how I wanted to confess my feelings and treat you the way you deserve. The irony, the cruel irony, is that I was telling her I didn't know how to say 'I love you' to the woman I loved most in the world."

His words hung in the air, a desperate plea for understanding, for a chance to rebuild what he'd so carelessly broken. You looked at him, your heart a tangled mess of emotions - anger, hurt, and a flicker of something that felt suspiciously like hope. The road ahead wouldn't be easy.

The path to healing was littered with the remnants of shattered trust.

But in that moment, nestled beside a man consumed by regret and a newfound love, you realized you weren't alone. You had him, and perhaps, just perhaps, together you could mend the broken pieces and build a love stronger than ever before.

A tear escaped your eye, tracing a glistening path down your cheek. It wasn't a tear of anger or despair, but a tear of something more complex - a mixture of dawning hope and the lingering sting of betrayal. You slowly reached out, your hand trembling slightly, and brushed away a tear from Taehyung's face.

His head snapped towards you, his eyes filled with a desperate hope that mirrored your own. He leaned into your touch, a starved man seeking solace in a single drop of water.

The dam within you finally broke. A sob escaped your lips, followed by another, and then another, until you were engulfed in a torrent of tears. The emotions you'd bottled up for so long - the hurt, the confusion, the flicker of hope - all came pouring out in a heart-wrenching display of vulnerability.