Chapter 10 Birthday

A/N: Again I am sorry for the mess with this story that happened on Friday. I still have no clue what happened. Hope this helps make up for it. Tell me how I'm doing! The picture above is the shirt Asha is wearing.

Chapter 10 Birthday

I was now working at the hospital as Carlisle's assistant. I found the work enjoyable but I just felt like something was missing. I wasn't sure what it was but I had more than enough time to figure it out. "So, your birthday is coming up," Carlisle said and I looked up at him from the files I was putting away. "You have any plans?"

I shook my head, "my birthday as always been another day. No one has ever bothered to celebrate it. I don't really expect that change, hoping it will change like I have for years only brings disappointment," I said going back to my work.

"Well expect it to change, especially with Alice," Carlisle said and I could hear the smile in his voice. "How old are you this year?"

I assumed he meant in human years, "14, if you want a more accurate answer it will have to wait," I said glancing at him. I was now fourteen, 200 years had passed since my 13th birthday and this time I had a family. I looked fourteen but I felt like I was older.

"I think Jasper has a surprise for you," he said smiling. I had mentioned how I would like to see The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. I wondered if that was it. "Oh, and Alice says I'm to take you shopping for a dress if you would wear one that is?" I groaned. Just two months ago I had nearly attacked her because of her insistence that I wear a dress. I looked over at the man who had become my father and raised one eyebrow. "Right," he said looking away.

"I have enough clothes.........dad," I said hesitating before I said it. It felt right, but I wasn't sure how he would take it. I watched him, he seemed confused for a moment then he broke out into a smile. "I'm sure I can pull something out of my closet that will be party-worthy."

"You just called me dad," he said coming over and giving me a hug. I returned it not at all bothered by his cold skin.

"Let's go home so I can surprise Esme," I said smiling. The workday was over. We both clocked out and went out to the car. I slid into the front seat wondering how the house looked. Knowing Alice it would be decorated from the driveway entrance all the way to the attic to the back yard. She would have been bossing everyone around all day while Esme was in the kitchen. She would have been cooking, making the cake and my favorites no doubt. I hoped a few more humans would be there to help me eat some of it.

The ride home was short, considering that normally it was a 45-minute drive, but if one of the Cullens was driving it took ten minutes. I dozed exhausted from being on my feet for nearly 10 hours already today. I hoped Alice didn't expect me to stand for this party. I would be sitting in Jasper's lap as he sat on the couch. As soon as he pulled into the garage I ran inside using my speed. "Hi, mom," I called heading for the kitchen and pulling her into a hug. Once again it felt right. I had a mom and dad for the first time in my life.

She was stunned for a minute but she returned the hug, "Ah, sweetie," she said pulling me to her. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks, mom. I'll be right back I need to go change," I said racing up the stairs. I pulled on a pair of yoga pants, a red long-sleeved graphic tee that said 'good vibes only', and a sweater jacket from Eddie Bauer. I pulled on a pair of ankle socks before heading downstairs.

"That is not what I had planned for you to wear," Alice said. I flipped her the bird and she pretended to be shocked and hurt as I went to sit in Jasper's lap. I just smiled at her reaction.

"I've been on my feet for about 12 hours Alice, it may not bother you to stand for that long but I'm more like a human than a vampire. I'm sore and tired," I said as I snuggled into Jasper. Esme brought me a plate of food as Edward came in the door with Bella. "Thanks, Esme," I said taking the plate from her. It had angel hair pasta with garlic, meat balls and sauce, and a few other veggies in the mix. She also brought me a glass of milk which Jasper held for me while I ate.

Bella sat across from the room, my guess not wanting to cause Jasper pain by sitting to close to him. I ate my meal slowly and just talked to everyone, including Bella. She knew my secret as she knew the Cullens' secret. When I had finished my dinner Alice took my plate and had tried to take my milk but I growled at her taking the drink back. She held her hands up in surrender walking away. She came back practically skipping she was so happy, as though I hadn't growled at her 30 seconds ago. "Time for gifts, then the cake!" she squealed.

"You guys didn't go overboard did you?" I asked.

"I don't think she knows what that means," Bella said jokingly and everybody including Alice laughed.

Bella passed me her present, "Here," she said. It was a small box. I opened it carefully, once the silver paper fell away I was left holding a small plain box. I lifted the lid to see a bracelet, a friendship bracelet to be exact.

"Thanks, Bella," I said getting up to give her a hug. I slipped the bracelet on. "I love it," I said.

"Mine next," Alice said setting a large box in front of Jasper and me. I pulled the paper off to see a TV. I felt my jaw drop. "It's already set up in your room," she said smiling. From Emmett, I received an XBOX 360 and a DVD player. From Rose, I received a Chrome cast and a laptop. From Edward, I received an iPod and a tablet. Carlisle got me a phone and Esme got me several cases to go with it.

"Thank you, all of you I love everything," I said looking at them.

"There's one more," Alice said.

"Oh boy I am spoiled," I said laughing which got a laugh from everyone.

"I'll be right back," Jasper said moving me off of him. He was gone for just a few seconds before coming back with two slender boxes. "Open this one first," he said passing me one of the boxes wrapped in gold. I opened it to see two round trip tickets to New York. I looked at him confused. He passed me the second box which I opened to see two tickets to not just The Phantom but Cats and Joseph's dream coat.

I smiled at him, "really?" I asked. I felt like my jaws would break if my smile got any bigger.

"Yeah, plane leaves day after tomorrow. Carlisle cleared everything for you at the hospital," Jasper said. I hugged him giving him a kiss on the side of his mouth. "I take that as a yes, you want to go?" he asked laughing.

"Yes," I said completely excited barely able to sit still. I couldn't wait to go see all those plays. I would have to pack tonight and tomorrow. I had to plan out what I would need. Soon after Bella and I had cake and ice-cream. The cake was good. "Thank you for the wonderful food mom," I said smiling.

"You're welcome sweetie," Mom replied.

"Thank you to you all for such a wonderful evening and all the wonderful gifts," I said smiling. So this was what it was like to have a birthday. I liked it, a lot. I wondered what the holidays would be like around here. I had been away for last Christmas so I didn't get it with the family, but they had paid for more schooling as my scholarships dried up. That had been my gift.