Chapter 3 - Early Morning Kitchen Work

Sometimes
all you can do is smile,
Hold back the tears, and pretend you are okay.
---------------------------------------------
~The next morning~

Kayleigh's POV

   I stepped into the kitchen, my bare feet almost slipping across the slick floors. I smiled as I looked out the kitchen window and saw the sun shining onto the flowers in my window box.

   With renewed determination, I opened the fridge and pulled out some strawberries, and grabbed the container of oats from the pantry. After setting those things on the counter, I opened the fridge again and pulled out the milk.

   After putting four cups of water in a saucepan, I put it on the stovetop and turned the burner on high.

    While I waited for the water to boil, I grabbed a sharp knife and a cutting board and started to chop up some strawberries.

  At my parents house, I had been in the kitchen quite a bit. Their cook, Gianna, was always cooking amazing food, and I loved to watch her.

  I added two cups of oats to the boiling water, then put the lid on the pan and allowed the oats to cook as I started making a lunch for myself.

   I made a yogurt parfait with half of the chopped up strawberries, some strawberry yogurt, and some granola. Then, I put the parfait, some string cheese, and a small salad into my lunch bag. I grabbed a Snapple from the fridge, put that into the bag, then closed the bag up.

   Then, I turned my attention back to breakfast. I added some milk into them, and stirred it in. Then, I put the rest of the strawberries I had chopped up into the oatmeal, and stirred them in as well.

   I quickly separated the oatmeal into two bowls, then set them at the table. After setting a spoon and glass of orange juice beside each bowl, I walked up the stairs to my bedroom.

"Jack. Breakfast is ready." I said, shaking my sleeping husband.

"Ten more minutes." He whispered sleepily.

"Jack, get up. Oatmeal is hot, and you have to get to work. You're going to be late." I said.

Jack sprang up. "What time is it?" He asked.

"Quarter to seven." I said, quickly putting on a pair of pants and a large top that covered my growing belly.

Jack got up, grabbed his clothes, and rushed to the bathroom to shower. I sighed and grabbed my favorite sweater before rushing downstairs to eat breakfast before I had to leave.

---------------------------------------------

I hope y'all are enjoying this book! Any feedback, negative or positive is appreciated!

Of you swear your comment will be deleted and/or reported.