Chapter 38 - Missing

She's alone again, wiping the tears from her eyes.
Some days she feels like dying, she gets so sick of crying.

---------------------------------------------

Hettie's POV

   "Where is she?" Timothy asked, coming into our room.

   I was sitting on our bed, brushing my hair. "Timothy, I don't know." I said, turning to face my husband.

   Timothy sat down. "It's been a year and a half since anyone has heard from her." He said.

   "Yeah." I replied.

   "Hettie, what if Jack did something to her?" Timothy asked, grabbing my wrist.

   "Honey, Jennie can take care of herself." I said, putting my hand on his knee.

   "She couldn't last time." Timothy whispered.

   I looked at him. "Timothy, last time we knew where she was. And last time, she fell in love." I said.

   Timothy sighed. "I just don't know what to think. And now I need to get a court date set and without her..." He trailed off.

   "Timothy, you can do this on your own. You have me, and Kayleigh of course. You can't always have a partner." I said.

   Timothy nodded. "I just need to make sure we win." He said.

   "And if that doesn't happen, we will keep trying." I said, hugging him.

"I still need to find Jennie." Timothy said.

"You've been to the agency?" I asked.

"Three times in the last month. No one has seen her or heard from her in a year and a half." He replied.

"Not even your mother?" I asked.

Timothy looked at me with sad eyes. "I don't think so. But if I ask her, she will start to worry." He said.

I nodded. "Well, we will just have to find her ourselves then." I said.

Kayleigh's POV

   Tears rolled down my cheeks as I looked at my scars.

"Why did he do this to me?" I whispered aloud.

I locked the door to my room and changed into my pajamas, the tears never ceasing as I did so.

"Why me? Why not some other girl?" I whispered.

I looked at the test in my hand, more tears falling at the sight of it. "This time, I'm not going to let him find out. I think I left early enough." I whispered.

I grabbed the test and pulled the covers back on the bed. "This time, I'm going to get to hold you." I whispered to my belly.

"This time, I'm going to make sure nothing happens to you, like it did to your sister and brother. You're going to be the one that I get to take care of."

I lay down in bed, tears still falling as I hugged the test close and tried to fall asleep.