Chapter 15 - Garden

Oh, I'm sorry.
I forgot.
I only exist when you need something.
---------------------------------------------

Kayleigh's POV

   I stepped into my house, sighing as I heard a giggle come from the bedroom. I looked at the clock. 7:02 it read.

   It's hardly past dinner time! I thought, sighing again as I walked upstairs to my sewing room.

   I opened the door. "We meet again." I said to the room in a fake cheerful voice. "And I'm talking to a room." I said, closing the door behind me.

   I set my bag down on a chair, then sat down on the couch. "Maybe talking to a room is an alright though to do." I said, looking around.

I sighed and walked over to the door and walked out. I walked down the stairs quickly, then ran outside, down to the garden.

"Rita!" I called.

Rita turned and smiled at me. "Miss Kayleigh!" She said.

I walked over to her, taking off my shoes as I did so. "Do you mind if I help you?" I asked her.

"Not at all. The beans could use picking." Rita said.

I smiled at her, then walked over to where the beans were growing. The damp soil felt good on my blistered feet as I did as such.

"So, Miss Kayleigh, how was school today?" Rita asked.

"It was school." I said emphatically.

Rita laughed. "I couldn't have said it better myself. Mum says it will get better when I make friends but you know..." She trailed off.

I smiled. "I've been in high school for almost four years. I'm not sure if your mom is right." I said.

Rita laughed again. "Well I'm planning to prove her wrong. So you should tell me what you did, and I'll do exactly the opposite." She said.

I laughed. "Well, I think you should just be yourself, and the friends will just come naturally." I said.

Rita raised her eyebrows. "You sound like a mom." She said.

I fake smiled. "I'm practicing." I said, trying not to cry.

Rita giggled. "Good for you." She said.

I looked down at the beans. "If only I would be able to keep my child." I whispered. "If only."