Chapter 24 - Secret

I think I hit the point in life where I'm just done.
I cried,
I fought,
I tried,
But everything is crashing down.
My demons are screaming loudly, trying to eat what's left of me.
And this time,
I'm not going to fight back.

--------------------------------------------

Kayleigh's POV

   "Kayleigh." Gabe said.

   I ignored him and kept walking.

   "Kayleigh." Gabe tried again.

   I turned and smiled at him before disappearing into the study hall room.

   It was two weeks later before I saw Gabe again.

   "Cook. Muffin please." Jennie said, looking at me from her seat on Jacks lap.

   I nodded and walked quickly into the kitchen.

   "She's back." Gabe said, walking into the kitchen.

   I smiled and opened the fridge.

"Kayleigh." Gabe said, walking over to me.

I pulled a muffin out of the fridge then walked over to the cabinet to get a plate. "What?" I asked.

"Has that other girl been around?" Gabe asked.

I pulled out a plate and set the muffin on it. "Maybe she has, maybe she hasn't." I said, walking over to the microwave.

"What does that mean?" Gabe asked.

I put the muffin and plate into the microwave, and started it before replying. "Look, Gabe, just stay out of Jack's personal life." I said.

Gabe walked over to me. "I know your secret." He whispered.

I looked at him and frowned before pulling the plate out of the microwave. "What secret?" I asked.

"The secret that you're pregnant." Gabe said.

My eyes widened and I turned to look at him. "What? How?" I asked.

"You're showing. You have a baby bump just like my sister did when she was four months pregnant. So I'm guessing that's about where you're at." Gabe said.

"Three and a half." I said, glaring at him.

"I was close." Gabe said. "Now, unless you want that spread around school, you will tell me how you're related to Jack." He said, grabbing my wrist.

I yanked my wrist out of his grasp. "Funny, I thought you were a nice person. But like all the others, you're just here to get some gossip on Jack." I said.

"What? No." Gabe said.

I looked him in the eye. "Gabe, I'm not telling you how I'm related to Jack. And if you are the nice person you claim to be, well, you wouldn't tell anyone my secret." I said.

"And what if I did?" Gabe asked.

I smiled and picked up the plate. "Then you will lose your job." I said, then left the kitchen.

"Here is your muffin Miss." I said, handing the plate to Jennie.

She took it from me and bit into it. "Warmed perfectly. Good job." She said.

I smiled and nodded before walking upstairs. At least Jennie was nice. And from her sincerity, I knew she wasn't after Jack's money.

But what if she found out Jack had a wife? I smiled at the thought, then shook my head before walking into my sewing room.

I picked the piece of cloth up and studied it. "So, heat." I said, setting the cloth down for a minute.

   I walked over to the iron and plugged it in. Then, I picked up the cloth and set it down on the ironing board.

I ironed the piece of cloth, then gasped as black letters began to show up. I let it cool for a moment, then read it.

Investigation going well. I'm close to getting the evidence needed. The cloth said.

I looked at the piece of cloth, puzzling over the message. "Oh well, I'll figure it out later." I said, then stuck it in my pocket.