Chapter 29 - Meltdown

I wish I could go back
To a time when I could smile
And it didn't take everything in me to do it.
---------------------------------------------

~A month later~

Kayleigh's POV

I grabbed my bag, then checked the clock. "6:00, I have an hour before I have to get to work." I said aloud.

My phone started ringing from its spot on my dresser. I walked over and answered it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Kayleigh." Timothy said.

"Hey. I have a couple minutes before I have to go to work." I said.

"Then I'll cut to the chase. I'm going through records. Just how many times do you think Jack has cheated on you?" Timothy asked.

I smiled. "Just a minute, let me check." I said.

I set the phone back on the dresser, then slowly rolled up my sleeves and started counting.

A minute later, I picked up the phone. "I don't know how many times, but he has cheated on me with 56 girls that I know of." I said.

Timothy didn't reply for a minute. "How many do you think were only once?" He asked.

"About a third." I answered, then checked the clock again.

"Alright. Thanks. I'll talk to you later." He said.

"Alright." I said, then hung up.

"Well. That's over." I said, sighing as I fell down on the floor.

I felt tears streaming down my cheeks as I looked at the pictures pasted to my dresser.

"Why can't I have a marriage like they do?" I asked, trying to wipe away the tears that just kept coming.

"Why doesn't anyone care about me?" I wailed, curling into a ball. "No one would even try to help me keep my baby." I whispered, looking down.

A couple minutes later I stood up and looked in the mirror. I smiled, and my reflection smiled back.

I grabbed a make-up wipe, dried my tears, and wiped away my ruined make-up.

Then, I re-did my makeup as quick as I was able, then, with another quick smile at my reflection, I left the room.

I grabbed the bottle of kefir from the fridge, then pored myself a glass.

I also grabbed an oatmeal muffin and set it on a plate. I took a sip of my kefir before heating the muffin in the microwave.

After pulling the muffin out of the microwave, I sat down at the kitchen table and ate my breakfast.

"Morning." Kenny walked into the room.

I smiled. "Morning Kenny." I said.

Kenny was Jacks new assistant. Apparently, Jennie had recommended him. He wasn't terrible, at least he minded his own business. And he didn't go to my school.

"Kayleigh, Jack said I'm to tell you that your parents are coming for dinner." Kenny said.

I smiled. "Thanks for relaying the message." I said, then stood up. I set my dishes in the sink, then heat up two more muffins.

After setting the warmed muffins on the dining room table and ringing the bell, I left the house to get to work.

---------------------------------------------

I'm really proud of this chapter, and how it turned out. I really wanted you guys to see the side of Kayleigh that she hides, and see how easily she hides it.