Chapter 12 - Mysterious Phone Call

Sadness is the deadliest poison that kills you slowly in misery.
---------------------------------------------

~The next morning~

Kayleigh's POV

   My eyes opened, then I closed them again. "It's too bright out." I whispered.

   After a minute, I sighed and opened my eyes again, and sat up slowly.

  I looked around the sewing room, sighing again as I remembered that I'd slept here last night.

   I stood up and walked over to the open window. I smiled as the cool air hit me.

   After taking a deep breath of fresh air, I grabbed a cute blouse and a pair of jeans, then walked over to the bathroom.

   I walked in and closed the door behind me, then took a quick shower.

   After I brushed my hair out and straightened it, I walked back into the sewing room to grab my things.

   My phone rang just as I was about to go downstairs to make breakfast. I looked at the caller ID, and frowned at the unfamiliar number.

   I picked up the phone and answered it as I headed downstairs. "Hello?"

   "Kayleigh?" A voice said.

   "Um, yes. Who is this?" I asked, pausing as I reached the dining room table.

   "This is Saige." The girl replied.

   My eyes widened. "What are you doing? Calling me is dangerous." I hissed in a whisper.

   "I know. It's a payphone, I'll be fine. I just wanted to make sure you all know that I'm doing well, and I'm safe." Saige said.

   I smiled. "Good. I'll pass the message along. And as much as I love talking to you, don't call again. For your own safety." I said.

   "Ok. Goodbye Kayleigh." Saige said.

   I smiled again and held back my tears. "Goodbye Saige." I whispered, then hung up the phone.