Chapter 40 - Curls

The worst part about being sad is that you don't even know what makes you happy anymore.
--------------------------------------------

Kayleigh's POV

   "Tatum!" I knocked on her door. "Breakfast is ready." I said, opening the door.

   "I'm tired." She said, yawning.

   I laughed. "Well, I'm sure you're hungry too, so get up please." I said, then opened her curtains before I left the room.

   "Sean?" I asked, knocking on his door.

   I heard a thump, and a couple seconds later the door opened.

   "Breakfast?" Sean asked, looking at me eagerly.

   I laughed. "Yes, breakfast is ready." I said.

   Sean charged past me towards the kitchen.

   "He likes food." Tatum informed me.

   "Well, I happen to enjoy food too." I said.

   "Well then we should go eat." Tatum said, leading me back into the dining room.

~An Hour Later~

   "Bye Daddy!" Sean said, waving to Timothy as he left for work. Hettie had left an hour ago, so this left me alone with the kids.

   "So. What do you two want to do?" I asked.

   "Tricks." Sean said, then walked off to his room.

   "He means trucks. He likes to play trucks alone in his room." Tatum said.

   "Ok. Then what do you want to do?"  I asked her.

   "How about you curl my hair, and I curl yours? Mommy and I do it all the time." Tatum said.

   I shrugged. "Sure!" I said.

   Tatum cheered. "Come on, my curling iron is in the bathroom." She said.

   I followed the excited little girl to the bathroom.

"Here it is!" Tatum said, pulling out a turquoise hair curler that had rhinestones on it.

Tatum plugged the curler into the outlet, then grabbed a brush from the cabinet.

She pulled a chair in from the kitchen. "Sit here." She instructed.

I sat down in the chair. "How often do you do this?" I asked.

Tatum grabbed the brush and started brushing my long, straight hair. "About once a week." She said.

"Are you sure you're only four? You seem so grown up." I commented.

Tatum giggled. "I'm going to be five next month. And Mommy says I've grown up fast because I had to." She said.

"You've had to?" I asked.

Tatum picked up the hair curler. "My real daddy doesn't know about me, and Mommy didn't trust babysitters. I went to work with her everyday. That's how I learned to curl hair and do Mommy's make up." She said.

"So you're practically an expert hair curler then." I said.

"Only for other people. Mommy won't let me curl my own hair. And Daddy says I can't wear makeup until I'm at least twenty five." Tatum said.

I giggled. "Well, you have a long wait." I said.

   Tatum giggled too. "Yeah. It's ok, Mommy let's me do her make up a lot." She said. "Do you wear makeup?" She asked me.

   I smiled. "I grew up learning that makeup was everything, and a girl should never go without it. But right now, I think I'm going to take a break from it." I said.

   Tatum smiled. "I think you're very pretty." She said.

   I admired my curled hair.

   Tatum laughed. "My turn!" She said.

   I stood up. "Alright, sit down and let me make you beautiful." I said.