Chapter 34 - Baby

I'm the type of girl who smiles to make everyone's day.

Even though though I'm dying on the inside.
---------------------------------------------

~An hour later~

Kayleigh's POV

I opened my eyes slowly, and looked around me. I was in my room, and it looked pretty normal to me.

   The blue curtains were open, and a tiny sunlight was coming through the window. That must mean it's evening time. I thought. How long was I sleeping? And why hasn't Jack woken me up to get his dinner?

   I looked around, my eyes scanning the room quickly. I saw an unfamiliar bag sitting on my dresser, and that's when I remembered my midwife was here.

"Car-r-ol?" I croaked out.

The midwife ran over to me. "Oh you're awake!" She said. "Would you like some water?"

"Yes please." I said, my voice hoarse.

Carol smiled and brought a glass of water over, then helped me drink it.

"Thanks." I said, my voice still a bit hoarse.

"You're welcome! Do you feel alright?" Carol asked me.

I lay back in my bed. "My head hurts." I said. "A lot."

"Let me get you some medicine for that." She replied, and left the room.

I sighed, closing my eyes for a minute, then opening them again. Something was different, but I couldn't tell what it was. But something was defiantly off.

"Here you go." Carol said, handing me a pill.

I took my glass of water and the pill, and swallowed the pill. "Thank you." I said.

"You're welcome!" Carol said, then she handed me a small plate that had a bagel on it, then helped me sit up.

   I took a small bite of the bagel.

   Carol smiled. "You probably have a headache because you're hungry. You haven't eaten in twelve hours." She said.

   "Yeah, I get them a lot." I said, finishing my bagel. I took another sip of water.

    My eyes drifting to my belly. "Why is my belly so flat?" I asked.

Carol smiled sadly. "Your baby isn't in there anymore." She said.

I looked at her, laying back down, and heard the words I had already guessed to be true.

"Your baby didn't make it."

--------------------------------------------

I just wanted to make sure y'all know, this isn't the end! There's actually a lot more to Kayleigh's story, so you don't have to worry about this book ending yet.