Chapter 14 - A Visit

Sometimes, crying is the only way your eyes know how to speak when your mouth can't explain how broken your heart is.
---------------------------------------------

~ 10 hours later ~

Kayleigh's POV

I stepped into the orphanage, waving to Eddie before closing the door behind me.

"Oh Kayleigh! What a treat to see you again so soon!" Madam Ruth said, running over to hug me.

   I hugged her back, smiling. "It's great to see you again too." I said, then handed her a bag.

   "Oh Kayleigh." Madam Ruth hugged me again. "I'm glad you had some sewing time." She said.

   "I am too. Three more kids will have a fresh set of clothing." I said, then paused a minute. "Madam, could we talk in your office?" I asked.

   Madam Ruth looked at me curiously, but led me to her office nonetheless.

   When we were in the small room, door closed and locked behind us, I turned to her. "Saige called." I said softly.

   Madam Ruth's eyes widened. "That's dangerous! She shouldn't have." She said.

   I nodded. "I know. She knows." I said simply. "But she said she's safe."

   "Well, she's a strong girl." Madam Ruth said.

  "She is. I'm proud of her." I said, looking at the ground.

   "Kayleigh, we did what we could." Madam Ruth said gently.

   I smiled. "I know. I have to get going though, it's my night to make dinner." I said.

   Madam patted my shoulder. "Just keep sewing for the children." She said.

   I hugged her. "I will." I said, then stepped out of the office.

   "Kayleigh?" A voice asked.

   I turned around and smiled. "Hey Timothy. I was dropping off some clothes." I said.

   "That's great." Timothy said, walking over to me. "And how are you?" He asked.

   "Tired. I stayed up late sewing last night." I said, not meeting his eyes.

   "Well go home and get some sleep." Timothy said, then walked off in the opposite direction of which he had come.

   I sighed, then walked out of the orphanage. I looked around the small neighborhood, then smiled as I saw my car coming to get me.