Chapter 32 - Material

The prettiest smile hides the deepest secrets. The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears. And the kindest hearts have felt the most pain.

---------------------------------------------

~A month later~

Kayleigh's POV

   I stood up, looking out the window as I heard a truck pull up. My eyes widened as I saw Jack get out.

   "I thought I had another hour before he got home!" I said, grabbing a sweater and pulling it on before running downstairs.

   I stepped out the back door, then hopped into the waiting car.

   "Escaping?" Eddie asked me.

   I sighed. "Nope, just leaving early so I won't be requested to clean something or another." I said.

   "It's a shame Tilly quit." Eddie commented.

    I smiled. "Yes, but my mother will find another maid I'm sure." I said.

   "She might find two, so you have a back up ready." Eddie said.

   I giggled. "I wouldn't be too surprised." I said.

   "Well, you should be ready then." Eddie said, pulling up to the sewing store.

   I smiled. "I'll do so." I said, hopping out of the car. "I'll see you in about an hour." I added.

   "Will do." Eddie said, pulling away.

   I smiled after the car, then walked over to the sewing store.

The bell jingled as I opened the door.

"Welcome! Can I help you with anything?" A lady asked.

I smiled. "Yes, actually. I'm looking for material suitable for baby clothes." I said.

The lady smiled. "Right this way." She said.

"Thank you." I said, following her.

"So, do you know if you're having a girl or a boy?" The woman asked.

"No, I decided to wait and see." I said.

The woman smiled. "No harm in that is there?" She asked. "Here is the fabric."

I smiled. "Thanks." I said.

   The woman nodded and smiled as she walked away.

   I fingered the cotton material. "It's so soft." I said aloud.

   "That it is." Someone said.

   I turned around to see a girl about my age, if not younger.

   "Sorry." The girl blushed. "I didn't mean to disturb you." She said, standing beside me.

   "It's quite alright. You like this fabric?" I asked.

   The girl nodded. "It's so soft. I made clothes for my baby sister using it, and it lasted for my next sister too." She said. "And now, it will suit well for my son."

   I looked at her. "If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?" I asked.

   The girl sighed. "I'm sixteen." She said. "And I know, way too young to have a kid."

   I smiled. "I get that a lot too. I'm only eighteen." I said.

   The girl smiled. "My name is Mia." She said.

   I smiled. "Kayleigh." I said.

   "I have some patterns for baby clothes, if you'd like." Mia said.

   I smiled. "That would be great." I said.

   Mia wrote something on a piece of paper. "Here is my phone number. Give me a call sometime." She said.

   "Will do." I said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get this fabric cut."

   Mia waved as I walked away.